A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, November 17, 2008

New Grips For the 50th Anniversary Ruger

OK, I admit it. I'm a sucker for walnut and blue. I screwed some checkered walnut Ruger MKI grips on to the 50th Anniversary Ruger today, and I like the result. Click to enlargeI had to carefully inlet the left grip to accept the bolt hold back mechanism, and the results were worth it.

I also swapped out the bolt with the Ruger MKII I use to train new shooters. I wanted a plain bolt in this pistol, not one with the Ruger logo engraved in the rear. I appreciate Ruger leaving off the receiver scallops in front of the bolt. I wish they had cut a square ejection port and placed an upright rear sight on the pistol too, but I guess you can't have everything.

With the exception of maybe placing a magazine with a chrome base pad in the well, I will likely not do much more to the Anniversary Ruger. It is where I want it. Classic. Simple. Elegant.

More on the 50th Anniversary Ruger 22 pistol.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Old NFO said...

Nice job and a beauty of a pistol! Enjoy it!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

After all these years, none of the Ruger .22 autoloaders looks as good to me as the standard model. I prefer the 6" barrelled version, though.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it my imagination, or do I see a spot of red on the front sight?

Also: MK I grips on a MK II? Do you have to hollow out the inside of the left panel to allow for the follower button bulge on the grip frame? If that's all there is to it, it seems I can use MK II grips on my Standard.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

You see a dab of Testor's flourescent orange on that front sight.

The screw spacing may be different between the MKII and your Ruger Standard. If you have an A-100 frame, it will work. If you have an earlier frame, it won't.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sir X.

Not knowing what a Ruger A-100 frame is, I googled it and wound up here:

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aast50rugersa.htm

A pretty good historical site (except for yours, of course).

Turns out, my Standard predated the A-100 frame.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to shoot that one!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good. After I read the post where you picked up the Ruger, I bought my own 50th Anniversary Model on GB. I'm sorry I sold my MkI 25 years ago, but I'm glad to have another, and this one is a keeper! I'm keeping mine stock, except I may replace the rear sight with an adjustable one.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home