A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, November 24, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: Two Tauri

I stopped in Kenny's pawn shop this afternoon to see if the Colt 1903 Hammerless was still around. Regrettably, it had vanished. In it's place was a different rendition of John Moses Browning's gun designs, a blued Taurus PT1911. I didn't want to look too interested, so I asked to see the Taurus P92 that was still gathering dust.

The PT92 is a near copy of the Beretta 92 series of pistol. Some shooters actually prefer the Taurus P92 because the safety is not on the slide. I acted interested in the old Taurus while gazing at the PT1911 past it under the glass. Kenny had the PT1911 tagged at $549. That was too much in my book to pay for that pistol used.

Finally, I asked to take a look at the Brazilian 1911. When I dropped the magazine out, I noted that it was coated with what appeared to be motor oil. I locked back the slide and saw the barrel was coated with the same stuff. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the PT1911, perhaps this was factory preservative. The barrel hood certainly appeared unblemished. Perhaps this was an unfired pistol. At $549, it should be.

I had to convince myself not to put this gun on lay away. I didn't care for the widely spaced slide serrations. The Hienie straight eight rear sight was not my cup of tea. It appeared to be installed as an afterthought, hanging over the round of the slide. I despised the lock on the hammer. Why make such a part, one that gets slammed around like crazy, delicate with itty bitty internal mechanisms? Unless they did it so the lock/hammer would immediately be swapped out, I have to question that design. The frame had a blocky front strap.

The fitting of the Taurus was excellent for a production gun. No sloppiness what so ever. The checkering on the front strap was nice. I prefer a smooth front strap, but if you like checkering, Taurus did an excellent job on it, unlike Smith & Wesson's clumsy checkering attempt on the SW1911. The checkering underneath the Taurus trigger guard is a nice custom touch, although it will certainly chew up a holster's leather. The trigger itself was very nice. Crisp.

There were enough features in the Taurus PT1911 that I did not care for. I handed the gun back to Kenny. At $549, I could have purchased the pistol new any time, any place. At $449, I might be back............

Michael Bane's PT1911 Review

Shooting Times PT1911 Review

Gun Blast PT1911 Review

B.B. Pelletier's PT1911 Review

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Hyunchback said...

Having handled one I would pass on the Taurus.

It could make for a good basis for a true custom but it's price is close in price point to a Para or Springfield. Both are superior products.

The Taurus felt jagged. The trigger was gritty and hard.

For someone with a long history of work like yourself, Xavier, I would think a good custom frame or beater Colt would be a better start.

For the newbie it may be a taste of 1911 that doesn't rest very well.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Hyunch,
Ifi did buy it, it would be to shoot the hell out of as is, and to see if the reports are indeed true. I'd probably torture test it and then sell it off. For $500, that's a lot to invest though.......

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you wouldn't recommend the PT 1911???

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought it as a way to learn the internals of the 1911 without butchering my Wilson's and Kimbers and I must say it has become one of my favorites. I carry it more than any of my other 1911's, but they all get carried. No use for a gun I cant carry.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I dunno OrangeNeck. I didn't buy it because there was no compelling to do so at the price offered.

It might be a good gun. It seems a lot of owners like it.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For $550 you can get then new at Cabella's. I've bought several Taurus guns and they all have that heavy graesy gunk on & in them. I call it fish oil. I figure its a preservative for the boat ride here. If you dont clean it out of the PT1911, the gun wont feed or cycle reliably and the actions feel like garbage. But cleaned up and lubed properly, they are not too bad. The couple I bought break cleanly at about 5-5 1/2 lbs.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

That hammer is indeed immediately swappable, as it the other industry standard, the lockable mainspring housing.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Weer'd Beard said...

Just Curious, but what don't you like about the frontstrap checkering on the S&W1911?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mark Horning said...

What Joe said. for $550 you can get hem brand new at cabella's, then you can get the $50 rebate that Taurus is offering untill the end of the year.

My biggest problem with the Taurus is that several of the "upgrades" are stuf that I would simply remove. The Heine sights are high quality sights, but I'd immediately swap them for Novaks or Trijicons which are far more to my liking. The full-length guide rod has to go of course, as does the lawyerimproved hamer.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been picking up Kimber Customs in your Taurus price range (comparable to between asking and what you'd be willing to pay prices on the South Americans). You must be going to the wrong gun shows.

I most recently got a N.I.B. Custom for six and change. One before that was lightly used for $499.

1911s of various sorts and Encore barrels are sorta like rabbits around my house.

Happy gun hunting,

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking around, isn't the MSRP for the Taurus PT1911 (blued) $752?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a PT1911. Have about 3000 rounds through it. No problems, but the finish sucks. It rusts overnight if left in the truck. Of course I do live in Florida...

-Dave

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home