A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ugly Gun Sunday

Most people who have customized the Ruger 10/22 rifle learn sooner or later to avoid Ram-Line parts, no matter how attractive they may be. Click to enlargeThere is a simple reason. They are crap.

What many people do not know, however, is that Ram-Line once sold a 22 pistol of their own. The Ram-Line Syn Tech Exactor pistol is what a cross between a Kel-Tec and a Nambu would look like. It was a 15 round plastic lump of crap. The tubular steel barrel was sleeved in plastic, with a plastic sight and ventilated rib. A sliding switch on the left side of the plastic receiver did something, probably a safety. Construction is visibly shoddy, and the design is suspect, at best. If you see one, avoid it like you would avoid a rabid dog with head lice.

More photos of this quasimodo can be found in this auction.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd seen an advert for one of their products which got me thinking about the pistol.

I had made the mistake about 12 or so years ago, of buying a couple of their magazines for my Ruger Mk2. Of course they turned out to be crap.

You know, kinda strange how, back then, all of the gun rag "honest reviews" were so positive about the Ramline Exactor.

You don't think they would be dishonest, would you?



Tok

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, my, that is ugly! The grip looks like if it got just a little wet it would squirt right up out of your hand if you applied enough pressure.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, a British pistol which ejects to the rear is charmingly eccentric. This thing is.. beyond redemption.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:51 PM  
Blogger MauserMedic said...

A cousin to the Mountain Eagle .22 autopistol? I have one (the ME), and it's been a great little .22 over the past 15 years. But if I left it on the dashboard in the middle of summer, I suspect it could look a lot like the photo you have there.....

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier - you've featured some really ugly guns in the past, which were either "home-brewed" or "customized" by misguided individuals, but the fact that this gun was purposely manufactured like this is just...

disturbing!

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier, I own one of these. Well, sort of. Mine is a later evolution.... Model RPT 2238, to be exact.

It only looks somewhat like the one you link to. Mine is more of a "Target" model, with an 8" bbl.

It looks like the one in the following auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116881214

I picked it up more for the novelty aspect, but it's turned out to be a nice shooter, and my kids love it.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had one since 1996 and shoot it fairly regular. It is not the best gun ever but it works well and fairly accurate, and a lot of fun. it is now my son's favorite to shoot. like anything it's not for everyone and some may be better then others but I have enjoyed mine for almost two decades.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had this first version. After a month, the firing pin broke, so I returned it. During that month, I really enjoyed tearing it down and the reassembly. It was a super fast teardown for maintenance. Wish it was more durable as I'd look for another one.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home