A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Defender Trigger

I received a brown box of joy from Midway USA today, and inside was a new set of slim grip screws. I installed one in the in the vacant hole left from my last range trip. Click to enlargeI am considering using blue LocTite on them, but I might try a bit of gasket sealant instead.

Also inside the box was a solid silver trigger from Cylinder & Slide. The Cylinder & Slide trigger has an over travel adjustment screw, and a smooth trigger face. It was, of course, oversized. Drop-in parts are a misnomer. If you want a 1911 trigger that doesn't wiggle, there is only one way to get it. The trigger must be custom fit to the frame. With a bit of flat file work, the Cylinder & Slide aluminum trigger shoe passed into the trigger guard with a bit of a push. At that point, I lubricated it with Ballistol, reassembled the pistol, and dry fired it fifty times. The result was a crisp trigger with no creep, and no wobble.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the website and your work. I like the new trigger also. I've been thinking about a smooth faced trigger for one of my 1911s. I've always wondered if the smooth face would help keep the sights on target during the pull as opposed to the serrated front edge common on most "fancy" triggers.

I had one trigger replaced on a 1911 and the smith neglected to round the sharp points at the upper and lower tips of the trigger. Didn't notice it until I shot it and found my finger catching on the point. My other 1911s have these points rounded off. Just a suggestion.

Thanks again for all your great guidance. You've taught me a lot.

George

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of 1911 triggers, X, what's your take on the 1911 Auto Flat trigger from Brownell's?

It's one of those thimgs that sounds like a good idea, and I'm tempted to try one on one of my IPSC guns to help with "minor errant hand position" issues related to awkward draws, but it seems that if it was so darn good you'd see more of them on guns.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Flat triggers........... well, ya know, with a flat trigger, if your finger is in the wrong spot,it stays there. With a concave polished trigger, if your finger is in the wrong spot, it moves towards the center as you pull the trigger.

I figure those trigger designers knew what they were doing way back when they put a curve in the first straight trigger......

A straight trigger does look all racey and IPSCy though. Kind of like like chrome valve covers and stick on engine vents.

Maybe I should shoot one and see, but I'm not ordering one and installing it to find out.

My two pesos.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The grip screws are best retained with application of Loctite #222 (purple). This is a low-strength threadlocker that will retain the screws under normal firing stresses, but yields under moderate torque for easy removal when desired.

Your local industrial supply house will have it, and some of the better automotive parts outlets will as well.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X:

FYI, the Pachmayr trim-to-fit 1911 trigger also is quite nice. The black nylon shoe is serrated and solid; the bow is stainless. My gunsmith fitted one to my 1991A1 park'd Commander and it works well. It's also very affordable at $20 MSRP.

Mike Harbour
Helena, Montana

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ed Skinner said...

I prefer a small amount of wiggle.
When shooting Bullseye, I come up on the target, put my finger on the trigger and wiggle it back and forth and then position it between the two extremes. That aligns the pressure I'm applying so it is straight back, not pushing left of right. I then add pressure until the gun fires.
Note, however, I did say "small amount". I like just enough so I can feel it.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home