A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jeanne Assam - One Year Later

On Dec. 9, 2007 Jeanne Assam was forced to shoot Matthew Murray after he killed two sisters at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Once shot and cornered, Murray turned his violent rage on himself. Jeanne AssamWith her valiant actions, Ms. Assam ended a murderous crime spree that took the lives of four people in two cities.

She found herself an instant focal point in a debate over the legitimacy of concealed carry for collective defense. She was an armed citizen to be taken down by the Brady Campaign, painted as a security guard by the mainstream media, and the darling of internet gun forums. Through it all, she remained a quiet, introspective person. A year later, in this article, she reflects on the action she was forced to take. "He didn't start off to be mixed up and confused," Assam said of Murray. "He started off to be a good person but he went down a wrong path."

While watching the children's Sunday school area, Assam heard shots in the parking lot, and then saw Murray coming down the hall with a rifle. "I saw him, it seemed like the halls cleared out, and I saw him coming through the doors, and I took cover. I waited for him to get closer, I came out of cover, and I identified myself. I engaged him and I took him down," Jeanne Assam said at a news conference afterwards. Jeanne Assam fired 10 shots from 63 feet away. She hit the gunman once in the wrist and twice in the leg. Unable to continue his rampage, Murray then committed suicide.

"I don't feel bad about what I had to do," Assam says today. "I'm sad that people died. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It still feels a little surreal for me for some reason."

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger nature223 said...

I said it before and I'll say it again...this chick rocks.
God bless her for her continued hard core ready to stop a felon 'tude.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Immediate suicide seems to be the common response when an active killer stops a bullet.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Voice said...

That's a girl. I'm glad she did it.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God she was there. God bless her!

Another nurse with a gun.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank God for her. She should receive an award for her heroic actions.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger Anthony said...

Thank God for her. She should receive an award for her heroic actions.

7:49 PM
_____________________________________
And a big ass check from the MSM and Bradytards.

10:08 PM  
Blogger GORDON said...

Ten shots under extreme stress, three hits from 63 feet?
I'd say she's a hell of a shot. And had a higher hit ratio than some cops in gun fights.
Outstanding job!
Wasn't she former law enforcement?

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep Ill agree with all said above about her actions. The one thing that got me about the media in all this was how much they persued the issue of her being a security guard, seeming to always having to mention it. As if to legitimize her carrying a firearm and her actions. I remember seeing a short interview with her and the media darling interviewer seemed to overtly emphasize that fact. As if being anything other than a security professional (LEO, Guard etc) wasnt legitimate enough to protect your life and others around you.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I recall, she was a recent volunteer "security guard" because of the shootings earlier that day.

Brass

8:23 AM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

Concur with all of the sentiments expressed above (those I see so far, anyway). I think this is a fine lady and I hope, should the need ever arise, that I could fulfill the task of "protecting the innocent" with as much skill and determination.

I do ask God's Blessing on her and her family...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Matt G said...

"Ten shots under extreme stress, three hits from 63 feet?
I'd say she's a hell of a shot. And had a higher hit ratio than some cops in gun fights."

At that range, her hit ratio was FAR better than the vast majority of cops, or anyone else firing a pistol during a gunfight. Think of how hard it is to keep everything aligned, during that adrenaline dump.

That's why practice is so very important.

I've been following this story since it broke, and have been furious that the fact that she was an armed citizen who stopped an attempted mass murder has been buried.

2:25 PM  
Blogger MauserMedic said...

Hard to believe it's been a year already. Seems just a few months ago...

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I question my ability to get 3 out of 10 on target from 63 feet at the freakin range. That is impressive.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home