A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, December 26, 2008

The Kolpin Rangetector Range Bag

One of the range bags I use is the Kolpin Kolpin Rangetector, available from Midway USA for $47.99. Click to enlargeThe product ad says:
"Constructed of durable Rhino Hide material, and with internal cargo space measuring 14" x 7", the Rangetector range bag is great for hauling your gear to the shooting range. It features multiple pockets for accessories, movable hook & loop storage compartments, reinforced handles, shoulder strap and Mud Guard® zippers that block outside debris from getting into the case."
I have found this bag to be well designed and durable. Click to enlargeI have used mine for about four years now. The front pocket is just the right size for carrying four boxes of Winchester White Box 45 ACP. Of course, you could just put in 200 rounds of Col. Cooper's favorite, along with come compact muffs and specs, or any variation of ammunition you may choose. I have never had the Mud Guard zipper spring apart on this bag, regardless of the weight jammed into that pocket. There is a small snap ring on a short lanyard inside this pocket. I'm not certain what it's purpose is.

The heart of the Kolpin Rangetector is it's ability to carry and protect two handguns of almost any configuration and size. Click to enlargeBetween the securely stitched and bar tacked nylon sling handles are two padded and zippered compartments. One wall of each compartment is lined with Velcro loop material. Provided with the range bag are four pads and eight pouches, all with Velco hook backing. The result is a compartment that can be quickly customized to accommodate almost any handgun along with it's accessories. With a bit of ingenuity, it would be possible to accommodate a total of four moderate sized handguns, two in each compartment.

On the rear of the Kolpin Rangetector is a fold out drawstring net bag. To be honest, I don't know what this bag is supposed to be for. Click to enlargeIt is accessible with a zipper without folding it out, and when folded out, it can carry a great deal of spent brass, targets, or other lightweight items.

All edges of the Kolpin bag are bound with heavy nylon piping. The carry handles wrap all the way around the center portion, ensuring they will not rip loose. A shoulder strap is provided if you prefer to carry the bag that way.

All in all, the Kolpin Rangetector is a great bag if you are the type of shooter who carries two or three handguns to the range along with 500 or so rounds of ammunition. If Kolpin made a bag with an ammo pocket on both sides, that would be my choice. As it is, this one fills the bill neatly for a light range trip.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mesh bag is for spent brass?

6:38 PM  
Blogger Old NFO said...

Nice bag, and one I've never seen. Thanks for the report.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mesh area for shooting glasses, ear plugs, and a headset, perhaps? I always carry two sets, so I use a soft 6-pack cooler for that.

7:55 PM  
Blogger José Giganté said...

Do you not reload Xavier? If not, I suppose that mesh is pretty useless/confusing. I for one, reload and while looking at the pictures before reading, I got excited because most range bags don't have good spent casing storage.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Diogenes said...

Midway also has their compact range bag on sale for $23.99. I just ordered one today. I was looking for something a bit smaller than the Kolpin bag, so it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Mark Horning said...

Mesh bag for spent brass obviously. Keeps the soot and debris out of your range bag proper.

1:45 AM  
Blogger closed said...

Snap-ring = prevent expensive small items from falling out accidentally


Mesh bag = fast dump space for empty brass and magazines.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine bag, looked it up at Midway.dk - it's availabel OK, but for the equal of 110,-US$!
I use the Maxpedition Versipacks "Colossus" and the one named "Jumbo" - as range bags, and both fits nicely for the job.
speedy neuhof

4:50 AM  
Blogger Roberta X said...

I've used that exact range bag since I started shooting handguns. Mine is five years old and still holding up.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Farm.Dad said...

Just when did slightly used Wall mart plastic sacks go out as " range bags? LOL

1:20 PM  
Blogger Crucis said...

I "borrowed" a mesh bag for my brass from my wife. I found it on top of the dryer one day. Later I was informed she used it to wash her nylons and other "flimsies." She was not happy when I returned it covered with soot. She bought another and I kept the first.

6:04 PM  
Blogger tom said...

I use a regularish range bag I got from Academy with mesh for regular pistol brass storage and for for ammo and tools, cleaning kits, etc. Encore and Contender rifle brass go right back into the plastic box spots they were in before I loaded them into the firearms.

I use a "double scoped rifle airline case" for the actual handguns on handgun days. I like to mix in Encores and Contenders with my K frames and 1911s, etc.

Nobody makes a really good travel bag or case for people that like T/Cs and often take 5+ scoped or red dot barrels along with some .22 Ruggers and 1911s and such. No worries for back acres shooting but it'd be nice for days I go to the range.

Could be a marketing opportunity if anybody ever got around to doing it, but there probably aren't enough of us to make it fiscally sound. Might be time to sweet talk mom and her fancy sewing machine???

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home