A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sheldon Brown Bike on ebay

If you are into bicycles and are on the internet, chances are you have heard of Sheldon Brown. A life long bicycling advocate, guru, and expert velo wrench, Sheldon died last year, and the bicycling world mourned his passing. Now one of his prize bikes, the Raleigh Competition "Superbe" is up for grabs on ebay.
This Raleigh Competition "Superbe" is intended to be an interpretation of the classic Raleigh Sports/Superbe 3-speed, only with higher-quality materials and with improved modern technology. The frame is a classic Raleigh Competition, originally a 10-speed racing machine. It appears to be a 1976 model, all Reynolds 531 butted tubing, with Huret dropouts. It is equipped with a Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal-gear hub, and a Shimano Nexus generator front hub. Assorted gold anodized parts accent the gold trim on the black frame.
Winning bid: US $882.19

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Crucis said...

I used to have one just like the one in the pic. The only difference was that mine had a rear-tire generator with front and rear lights. I got this when I was in grade school and rode to/from school whenever the weather was suitable. I also rode it into town (we lived about 8 miles out in the country) on Saturday.

When I left for college, I took it with me. Someone stole it during my sophomore year but until then, I put it to good service.

I received mine around 1958 and had it until 1970.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Old NFO said...

It's now up to almost $800... outta my league!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad about Sheldon. He was always ready to give advice about cycles and cycling.

Mike

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home