A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Answered Questions

Some of my longtime readers may remember the story of Perry Stephens. In a nutshell, Mr. Stephens, a CCW holder, saved a Baton Rouge police officer's life on February 17, 2006. Perry StephensSeeing officer Brian Harrision sprawled on his back with George Temple astride him pounding the officer's head into the pavement, Stephens retrieved his Sig Sauer P-220 from his truck. Wearing a neck brace, Stephens ordered Temple to stop the assault.
"Not heeding my commands to stop, I fired my pistol rapidly several times…The driver didn’t appear phased (sic) by the shots and continued beating the officer. I quickly gave another command for the driver to ‘Get off.’"

"Instantly the driver grabbed the officer behind the neck and head and slammed his face into the pavement. At the same instant, the driver thrust his right hand/arm under the officer’s upper body…"
Officer Harrison's gun was underneath his body. Stephens shot Temple four more times, center of mass. Temple continued the onslaught. Finally, with Temple still beating the officer and trying to gain control of the duty weapon underneath him, Stephens advanced and from a distance of approximately three feet, he shot Temple in the head, ending the brutal assault.

45 HydraShoks are what I carry. It's sobering to know that they failed to stop an enraged man without a headshot. My friend Gordon Hutchinson has finally laid many of the questions to rest by interviewing Mr. Stephens himself. Go here to read the complete story.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harrison & Stephens should countersue to have Temple's son's mother's lawsuit thrown out of court, ipso facto. Idiots like her is part of the reason the courts are so clogged up.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Temple's son's mother secured a wonderful ambulance chaser to file the suits against Harrison and Stephens. Why the attorney and she aren't prosecuted for filing two gold-digging, frivilous law suits, I'll never know.

Awful thing for Stephens to have to do, but thank God he was there and was armed.

9:17 AM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

I've been carrying a Taurus 357 loaded with 38 Special low-recoil, self-defense rounds. I think I may change over and carry my Glock 45 ACP with low-recoil, self-defense rounds...

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I wonder if bodybuilder Mr. Temple was having an episode of "roid rage" combined with "road rage".

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perpster may have a point. How the hell does a guy who isn't on something take a .40 and 4x.45's and still keep going? Being in good shape alone just doesn't account for that.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Man, I remember when you first posted about this. I'm still shocked at how much lead it took to put Temple down. This is the dilemma that concealed that ccw holders most frequently address; concealability vs.Power. I used to carry my 637 .38 special but have switched to the .357 sig load. This is due to the superior power and mag capacity.I can't imagine if I had just dumped 5 .38's in a guy and had to watch him keep going.

Crazy,crazy,crazy...

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the .45.

Keep a rifle in the car.

IANAL, but I think a good attorney could think of several reasons for a judge to throw out the Temple family lawsuit. Their ghetto lawyer has likely taken the case on contingency in the hopes that the defendants will settle.

Best thing to do is make yourself judgment-proof before this ever comes to pass.

Or, you know, hire hitmen (just kidding).

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the hell does a guy who isn't on something take a .40 and 4x.45's and still keep going? Being in good shape alone just doesn't account for that.

No mystery there. Pistol rounds suck. All of them.

Nothing hand held is a death ray. You'll need to shoot your target to the ground regardless of whether you have a 9mm or a .45. The minuscule differences between the common handgun calibers are totally irrelevant to wounding effect and are pure marketing.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X:

Cranky got it right; a rifle or a shotgun with slugs might've had more of an, um, impact. While I don't regularly carry a long gun in my vehicle, I did pack my Norinco 870 clone (with buck and slugs) on our last vacation to Washington state. Had a situation like this one appeared in front of me, the Nork would've taken a front seat at the proceedings over my lil' PF-9!

Mike Harbour
Helena, Montana

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the lesson here is that going for the headshot is the way to go. If you can, of course. In this case it appears that he could have gone for the headshot right away. There was plenty of time to aim.

But what if one did not want to go for the kill and wanted to immobilize the attacker? Would a neck shot work to cut off the flow of oxygen?

I'm thinking that in this case, when you're saving someone else, in the middle of the day, with witnesses and are basically subjecting yourself to future lawsuit, it might be better to try to shoot the attacker in a way that prevents him from inflicting further damage to the officer.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I read this right, is the woman who is suing the very same woman who had restraining orders out against Temple herself, because he'd assaulted her, or was she perhaps another "baby mama" that got left out of the story?

If she's the woman mentioned in the story, not only should she lose the suit, she should pay all the legal costs involved, for everyone.

Outrageous.

Another nurse with a gun

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home