A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Good Scrub Down

I had to go to a Burns Supper with my wife this evening, but when I finally arrived home, I took out my BreakFree, and assorted tools to detail strip the Colt M1911.Click to enlarge The barrel bore the P on the hood as it should. The interior of the pistol looked like it had been lubricated with dirty motor oil. There was a bit of rust underneath the mainspring housing.

Once I cleaned the barrel, I was amazed to find sharp rifling. The sear, disconnect and trigger bow looked to be hardly used. The hammer hooks were perfect. The barrel and slide lugs were sharp. This pistol had not been fired much at all.

I used brake cleaner to dissolve the oily gunk. Then a copper penny as a scraper, along with a bronze brush and a liberal application of BreakFree to remove the rust. Once the pistol was clean again, I lubricated and reassembled it.

This pistol is going to be a sweet shooter indeed.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For someone who says he doesn't know much about 1911's, you sure know how to take one apart and make it sing. Looking forward to a range report.

BTW - Any news from QJ? Or has he started his own blog?

1:51 AM  
Blogger lee n. field said...

A story with a happy ending. Or at least a happy middle.

7:48 AM  
Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

A M1911 AND a Burn's supper on the same day? You are living it right! And your friend QJ will get to try out this lovely hardware I hope. He is a very lucky man. I hope you take pictures.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you use "Gun Butter" ?

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something so satisfying about taking a handgun down to its bare essentials and slowly, carefully, bringing it back to life.

Whether its a 1911 or a BHP or an old Ruger Blackhawk. Each one has its own challenges.

There is ALOT that a kitchen gunsmith can do as long as a dremel is not on the table. (dremels should only come with a cloth buffing pad an 600grit compound)

Good for you and enjoy!!!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home