A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Messin' With Perfection

Click to enlarge
Experimental magazine release, squared, checkered, and serving to set the slide lock automatically when magazine release actuated.
I do not know why anyone would want to actuate the slide stop when they dropped a magazine, but Colt figured out a way to do it. It seems to me that having the slide lock back when the magazine is empty is a superior idea.

More pictures of this oddball factory 1911 here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious.

I can't imagine what that was for, or what they were trying to accomplish... Though from looking at it up close, it almost looks like it was more of an interlock- as in, you wouldn't be able to push the mag release, unless the slide were open and locked back.

Again, I can't figure out why, but then, none of the possibilities make much sense. :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger R-F said...

Looking at it... I can't see it? Is it just me, or is anyone else having issues seeing how it would cause the slide to lock back when the mag is ejected, or are there internal bits that we just aren't seeing in action?

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I run my 1911 dry, the slide is locked back. I drop the mag, slam a new one in and release the slide lock..... the pistol doesn,t need that doodad. Superfluous stuff.
Thad

11:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well
it's safe?
but hey see the lone ranger rig
tinyurl.com/8yoqf6

and some humor "were you born in a bran? "
tinyurl.com/9faoxm

2:39 PM  
Blogger Baker M. Romeo said...

When I was teaching my mom to shoot my 1911 with its .22 kit, she had a hard time holding the slide back and adjusting her grip to hit the slide release at the same time to lock the gun open.

Maybe the idea is to give people who can't quite reach the slide release with their thumb a more convenient way to lock the slide back?

~BakerMikeRomeo

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home