A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Old GI

Thankfully, it warmed up some today, and the sun was out. While the weather here over the past week would have been welcomed by many, any temperature below freezing is miserable. I took my Springfield GI45 back to the range. Springfield GI45 Click to enlargeI didn't take any others, I don't know why. I guess I just wanted to enjoy shooting with a simple pistol.

As I was blithely blazing away, an old gent in khakis, flannel shirt and a ball cap sat on the bench behind me. I wasn't too interested in swapping targets, so during the next cold range call, I sat beside him. "I carried one of those in Korea," he said.

"That one is a new one," I responded, referring to the locked back pistol on the bench. "I bought it a few years back."

"Do tell? I figured they'd a quit makin' 'em by now."

"Well, you know, a unit or two in the Marines still use a version of it. Would you like to shoot it?"

"No, I reckon I'll just watch," he said.

When the buzzer sounded again, I pulled my muffs back down and returned to the line. Between magazines, I would steal a glance or two back at the old soldier, his wrinkled hands arched across his cane. When the range went cold again, he was gone.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger AJ187 said...

That's interesting. Sounds like you got a new range friend. I've met many vets over the course of my range work. For some of us it is the only connection we have to the veterans of old. It's a nice connection to have.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Don said...

I know this story.

Later it turns out that the regulars remember the old guy, but no one has seen him for years and no one wants to talk about him. Finally someone lets it slip that he died of a heart attack on that very range ten years to the day before you spoke to him.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first I did not know he made sequels
this man is a gift to encourage and invigorate the LEO everywhere.


also I have you to thank for another pistol ...got a 1911 at the auction

didn't win the fitz though
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=1290&aid=16712&lid=4450933

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home