A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Decisions

I have finally acquired one of my last "holy grail" guns, a Colt M1911. The question this morning is.... Do I return to the gun show? I have not managed to sell the Browning 22 Auto, nor the SW1911. Selling either would make the purchase of my M1911 less.

The crowds were larger than during past shows, with obviously new gun buyers pouring in. I was surprised to see black rifles at reasonable market prices, and used 30 round AR mags in plentiful supply for between 10 and 15 dollars each. New AR magazines from Brownells were twenty bucks. Yes, they are eighteen bucks each from Brownells. The thing is, the same mags were for sale at reasonable prices. There were no whispered rumors of another AWB. It seemed the dealers were not trying to feed on hysteria this time around.

I still have to do weekend chores around the house, and it remains cold and dreary outside. I could just cradle myself in a wing back chair by the fire and research my new old Colt.Click to enlarge If it doesn't rain, after I get my laundry done, I could take it to the range for a bit of shooting and a photo session. To really get a good idea of what I have, some high resolution photos on the 1911 Forum's USGI section will be illuminating.

Thus far, I've been able to ascertain the pistol is a 1918 gun, likely to have left Hartford with a "Black Army" finish. It was inspected by Springfield Armory. I have not yet found anything amiss.

I suppose I will go back to the gun show. There are things to see, people to meet, magazines to stock up on, and laughter and camaraderie to be had. After all, a gun show is "the last bastion, the last gathering place, of a free people." The doors open again at 11:00.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger José Giganté said...

Is this the Ugly Gun post? You better get that sucker hard-chromed asap!

LOL. Nice find, congrats!

8:30 AM  
Blogger closed said...

Or paint it key-lime green.

2:20 PM  
Blogger nature223 said...

Xavier,Welcome to the club..
My Colt 1911A1 Dates Also 1918,it carries Serial C99XXX.
seems it's a Colt Commercial that got tapped for Military Service,
Went over to the Brits,Got BRITISH PROOFED and rechambered in 455AUTO,Then made it back to us...yeah,history is pretty cool sometimes
Congrats on an amazing purchase...

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of AR mags - IDF uses mostly used mags - the trick to prolonging its life is to load 29 rounds instead of 30, and then the load on the spring is lighter and you can reuse the mags almost endlessly.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I ask you to write a blog piece on ammunition purchasing? Sources seem to suggest that a terrorist incident is imminent, and I need to obtain some ammo soon. Do you buy from CMP, or you do buy commercial? Would you please give us your thoughts on this issue? I'd also like to hear your thoughts on disaster prep too.

Thanks

4:11 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

There were no whispered rumors of another AWB. It seemed the dealers were not trying to feed on hysteria this time around.

They don't need to. It is fully documented at the White House website as I am sure you know.

6:08 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

congrats on this one. Very nice!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home