A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

An Agglomeration

Oblivious soccor moms lit up by cell phones in SUVs. Dangerous dachshunds on snap leashes. Arf araf arf araf arfa arf! A syncopated symphony of white dashes popping off the blacktop. A white reflector in the distance approaching, and a quick smile and hello as another cyclist becomes illuminated by my red blinkies.

I wasn't the only one out tonight on a bicycle. I'm not surprised, really.... The night was gorgeous. Dry. Unlike Louisiana. Just the right temperature to put on a T shirt and have the breeze wick the sweat from your head through your helmet vents. A sky glistening with stars and a route unencumbered by any objective other than the sheer enjoyment of being.

Another cyclist closes in on me, a homie in a black watch cap on a blue Murray mountain bike. A quick wave and a "What's up?" In the distance, three time trialers furiously churn away at their gears. With all of the wet and cold I had taken to the comfort of a dry vehicle for the past few months. I had been missing the wind on my face and the tight ache in my legs, and I didn't even realize it.

For a moment, I was embarrassed by my thrown together commuter bike, with it's array of flashing lights, refectors and kiddie bike handlebars. The British fenders and the gym basket zip tied to a book rack on the back made the whole affair appear to be an agglomeration of disparate parts.

But you know, that's me too. I'm an agglomeration of disparate experiences, from Hong Kong's Cat Street to Pensacola's beaches to Ayers Rock in the Northern Territory. My life has ranged from that of a boy to an artist, to a soldier and sailor, to a father, husband and nurse. I'm still evolving, and so is my life.

A coed pedals towards me, and a white smile flashes, "Good evening!" I wave back and turn for home. I'm comfortable with who I am now, and satisfied with the winding journey it took me to get here. I just need to get back on the bike and ride and enjoy it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger DouginSalcha said...

Xavier,

I much prefer the bicycle articles to the ones about criminal stupidity where some idiot kills a wife or girlfriend because "he didn't know the gun was loaded".

I don't quarrel with your placing them in your blog because "learning from the mistakes of others" may just prevent someone else from doing something like that - I just like the ones about almost anything else before reading about a wasted life (or lives).

Thanks for posting (all of them)...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Old NFO said...

Can't ask for more than that...

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... to a soldier ..."? That's new. That would help explain your cryptic references to some dry land adventures. It would be interesting to hear more.

With warm regards - Travlin

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have inspired me to ride!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could ride. It takes me 45 minutes to get to work.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Jarubla said...

Xavier,

Beautiful post.

I have been lurking on your blog for quite a while, having stumbled on to it while searching for some gun facts. I am CCW permit holder located in Utah.

I must admidt I didn't expect to find you waxing poetic about riding a pedal bike. Let me elaborate a little about my own history.

I have ridden mountain bikes, roadbikes, and 40 YO lugged steel singlespeeds I've built up myself for a number years (11 where it was a daily fixation of 2-3 hours). I gave it all up 2 years ago when I got my Harley, but still find myself itching for the exhilleration of a pedal masher. Utah is blessed with some amazing trails, you should come out some time to Park City or Moab, and bring your guns along too.

The weather here is warming up at Lat 40.2969444, Long -111.6938889, and I am considering dusting off the helmet, airing up the skinny tires, and riding in to work. Its been far too long since I felt that "burn" and admired the quiet way a bicycle handles.

Thank you for the reminder about a long forgotten passion.

-Jay

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two wheels allow you travel with a freedom unparalleled by any form of land transportation. I don't care if my two-wheeler has an engine or pedals, on a clear day, there is no better way to travel. That is the feeling of most who ride. You can find snobs anywhere, but most cyclists [even us hog riders] feel a certain kinship to anyone on two wheels. Enjoy. But, watch out for the four wheelers.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home