A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, February 14, 2009

The MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag

Sometimes something is just right. Unusual yes, but occasionally, it occurs. Such is the case with the MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag. MidwayUSA makes a larger signature range bag, but often, more is not better.
Technical Specifications:

Overall dimensions: 16"L x 12"W x 10"H.
5 Total pockets
Heavy duty 2"W x 52"L removable carrying strap with shoulder pad and chrome plated steel clasps.
Full wrap around carrying straps with 5" strap connector/handle with hook and loop closure.
External ID pocket.
Main compartment 16"L x 7-1/2"W x 10"H.
Includes:
2 16"Lx7"H interior pockets.
2 Chrome plated steel D-rings for quick attachment of the carry strap.
Full wrap-around nylon handles.
Front compartments - 1 Padded zippered pockets 13"L x 2"W x 8"H - features embroidered MidwayUSA Logo.
Right side compartment - 1 zippered pocket 6"L x 6"H
Left side compartments - 1 zippered pocket 6"L x 6"H
Rear compartment - 1 Padded zippered pockets 13"L x 2"W x 8"H - features embroidered MidwayUSA Logo.
The dry numbers really don't begin to show just how superior this range bag is. Click to enlargeWithin the interior compartment, I was able to securely stuff five 1911 pistols, along with 350 rounds of 45ACP, 550 rounds of 22 long rifle, and 100 rounds of 38 special. I still had room for my shooting glasses and binoculars. I used two inexpensive four inch GunMate nylon pistol rugs to supplement the interior compartments of the range bag and help protect the finish on the pistols. I still had room to spare. If I could have carried it all, another 200-300 rounds of 45 could have been stuffed in there. I would have wanted a wagon to carry the bag though.

Now, here's the nice surprise...... There are more pockets to fill. One one side of the bag was a pocket perfect for stashing my Ruger MKII, along with a couple of spare magazine pouches. Click to enlargeOn the outside of that pocket was yet another zippered compartment. I stuffed my Model 649 in there. Now both are always handy for either plinking or more dedicated shooting.

Two wrap around nylon handles strained under the load of ammunition and shootin' irons, and it did seem as though I was packing more to the range than before. I decided to get on the scales and weigh the load I was carrying. It was 57 pounds. That's right, fifty-seven pounds of gunnie goodness.

But wait, there's more......... Turn the bag around, and unzip the other side. The panel drops to reveal a wall of your magazines and accessories. On the top are seven pockets to hold either single stack or double stack magazines. Click to enlargeOn the bottom is an elastic band to retain a variety of single stack magazines, screwdrivers and even a Sharpie or two for marking targets. Behind it all is yet another pocket perfect for holding stick-on targets and Shoot'n'See type targets.

On either end of the bag are zippered pockets that I have yet to find a use for. They seem to be perfect for a wallet. A KelTec P32 in it's blue pouch would fit too. I stuffed the carry strap into one of them and zipped it up. I carry my muffs outside the bag on a carbiner.

The MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag is made of sturdy nylon, and the stitching is superb. The zippers are quality stuff. It is usually $39.99. Here's the best part. It's on sale until February 28. Order one now for only $26.99. Supplement it with a couple of the GunMate pistol rugs if you carry a lot of guns to the range. You will never wish for a different range bag.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. i ordered one. Very good price.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't carry nearly the stuff Xavier does, I have one of these bags it is my favorite.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at them for some time now but I think I may finally have to pull the trigger (so to speak).

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thorough review Xavier. I've been looking for a range bag and this definitely sounds like it will fit the bill. I've just ordered one of my own.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Patrick Flowers said...

I like mine. Perfect size - can't hold the kitchen sink, but also doesn't weigh a ton when packed!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Rabbit said...

How much does the optional baggage porter cost?

at 57 pounds of gunny load, I'd better bring a sherpa or it has to have big wheels.

Regards,
Rabbit.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, X! I've been looking for something like this. It's awfully hard to fit a stack of standard pistol targets in a glorified lunch bag.

It's tough for me to get up to the range, and I've decided that part of the reason I lose time is that my tackle box full of gear takes too long to organize.

The tackle box was actually supposed solve the problem, but it now contains glasses, pick-up brass, silicone rag, two Wesson barrel tools, swiss army knife, screwdrivers, pliers, hex keys, musket caps, two types of hearing protection, a few kinds of ammo and lead ball, brass catcher, targets, powder horn, ball starter....sheesh! The problem with having space is that it tends to get filled.

What I need is a go-bag that's ready and waiting inside my gun cabinet. Everything in one bag, and only one practice gun. Not too wide and cumbersome, either.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Tass said...

X,

You really should have Midway put your blog down as a choice in the "how did you hear about us..." column.

BTW, ordered one and put down heard about them by a friend.

Tass

11:55 AM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

I've got the larger version of the same bag. I love it.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I like that one a whole lot more than the Gun Mate bag I picked up a while back. I think I'm going to have to get one of those.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Mine just arrived today. Great bag, great price, can't wait to get it out to the range. Thanks for the recommendation!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

This is quite awhile after the post, but I just received mine and it is most excellent. I was quite surprised by the empty weight and am thrilled with the amount of "stuff" I can organizedly tote. Xavier, I appreciate the heads up... pretty excellent gear.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier-
I was having a heck of a time trying to decide between this bag and it's big brother. I'm glad I found your post! I am ordering this one right now!
Thank you for taking the time to post this for us.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Believe it or not anon, the reason I haven't blogged on the larger one is because I like this one so much. I haven't even tried the larger one!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Brisket Dog said...

I just ordered 1 of each last week after getting some recommendations from the guys on www.glockpost.com. I was sent a link to this review and my purchase looks to be highly endorsed. Can't wait to get mine. Too bad they are on back order till mid-April.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home