A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pawn Shop Circuit: Two Models of 1905

I finally went by Neil's pawn shop and paid off the Model 10-8 that I had placed on lay away back in October. Click to enlargeThe sale price on the nickel service revolver was $239, and I only had $37 more dollars to pay.

At one time not long ago, I would have passed on a Model 10 that was over two hundred bucks, but times have changed. You just don't see them what I used pay any more. I suppose that goes for a lot of things. Earlier in the week I looked over a blued Model 37 with a three inch barrel, but the $425 price tag switched me off cold. I'm willing to recognize the prices have gone up a bit, but I'm not willing to pay 2015 prices yet.

I took the modern day Model of 1905 home and cleaned it up, and then found some period appropriate magna grips in my spares box. It's my first heavy barrel Model 10. I've just always preferred the taper barreled M&P, but I have to admit the heavy barrel handles nicely. Click to enlargeWhen compared with my eighty-eight dollar Model of 1905 (no change) that I picked up at the last gun show, the Model 10-8 looks like a jewel.

The Model of 1905 was the first five screw Smith & Wesson revolver. It was manufactured for one year before the first change occurred. There is something about those old brown revolvers that I enjoy. They are invariably inexpensive, they are about as tactical as a pair of Hush Puppies, and the patina reeks of a past unknown. Yeah, I appreciate the old beater guns nobody else wants too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav, I enjoy beater guns too!

One Fellow has an colt police positive in 32 S&W Long for $178. It has been there for 4 months and no one want it, another thing is It has alot of wear and tear on it which I believe it means that it has ridden the side of one officers hip for a short time.

I am thinking on buying it, Should I get it xav?

9:53 PM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

Have to say, that Model 10 cleaned up well. Very pretty.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

I've got a 5" pre-war M&P that I'd feel very comfortable walking the earf with, "untactical" or no...

7:16 AM  
Blogger B said...

I like old, "experienced" guns too.

I don't have any yet, but I really like them.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home