A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetl

I was shooting the Kimber Pro Carry and the Model 17 at the range today. During a cold range call, one of the range officers rode over in a golf cart and beckoned to me. "You got a Glock?" asked Jack.

Kimber Pro Carry and Model 17-2"No, I used to have one, but no more."

"Well next month, in Thibodaux, the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation is putting on a tournament," explained Jack. "You have to shoot a Glock though."

"You mean no 1911s can apply?"

"Nope."

"Well, I used to have a Glock 26, but the rear sight kept coming loose and sliding around. I eventually sold it, I just didn't care for the thing."

"If you can beg, borrow or...... Well.... Get a Glock, let me know. We'll get you signed up."

"What if I just paint my 1911 black and get some Bondo to put on the frame to make it ugly?"

Jack chuckled and drove on.

I returned to the firing line when the range went hot. I began to notice a gradual decline in my accuracy with the Kimber, and then, it all went Titantic on me. I had hits all over the target. Damn. Someone had said Beetlejuice Glock. The Tru-Glo rear sight on the Kimber loosened, and I did not have a Allen wrench in my range bag to retighten it. It was so loose I could easily move it from side to side with my fingers. No wonder my shooting had hit an iceberg and sank!

I put the Kimber in my range bag and continued to shoot a while with the 22 caliber revolver. When I get home, either I will shim that rear sight, or I will use red Loc-Tite on the screw.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger closed said...

Just buy another proper John Moses Browning (PBUH) pistol, and this curse will go away.

Get a 1903. All of the cool kids have one ... I do, and I'm not even cool.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On your Glock 26 were you using the original Glock sights, if so, that was your mistake. I like Glocks because I can buy one, replace the original POS (piece of s***) sights with Trijicon night sights, and have a reliable defensive pistol. All the .45 Autos I have bought (six) have ended up at a gunsmith to make them functional. Glocks may not look nice, but I don't carry to look nice, I carry for function and reliability and have found them to be more reliable than any .45 I have ever owned.

4:36 PM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

I recc green loctite.
http://tinyurl.com/56wqqb
you need a torch or acetone to get it off. Use it on prosthetic legs

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

I tried the Glock Phenomenon. It was a 10mm, the same as my STI Edge.

I didn't like it, just like I didn't like Broccoli the first time I tried it.

Never went back to Broccoli, never went back to Glock.

Bad taste is bad taste, however determined you are to give it a chance to convince you "it's good for you".

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X:

You mean to tell me you had no Allen wrench in that super-sized, much-hyped range bag of yours? I'm shocked! I thought you could've carried half of Midway's catalog in that thing!

Seriously, tho, that's exactly why I bought five acres in Montana...my range is just a few hundred feet from my gun room!

Mike Harbour
Helena, MT

12:20 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Mike,
I've got one in there now!

x

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, whatever. It's not about the prettiness of the gun, guys. It's how well you can use it. My Gock has helped me beat many a kilobuck 1911, and I will be taking it to my first GSSF match in August.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why doesn't Team Glock compete in IPSC or IDPA?

Is it all about selling pistols, or are they scared?

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home