A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, March 30, 2009

Portraits

Click to enlarge
Lighting makes a photograph. A good photograph is all about lighting. I much prefer to use available light to get what I want. Here, the model is backlit with afternoon sunlight, but she is standing on a concrete sidewalk which reflects light back up into her face.

I really enjoy portraiture, always have. There is something special about capturing the essence of a person, and having them be excited about it. A good model can make a mediocre image wonderful, and I am fortunate to have an excellent model living underneath my roof. I suppose I will have to begin asking around for volunteers for models to find a challenge.


Nikon D-200, 85mm ƒ1.8

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Hank said...

Xavier - nice shots. I am starting to do a little portrait work - strictly amateur. One item that seems to be critical is the that of a light reflection in the eyes - makes the subject more alive. Might just need a fill flash or a small light stand to get it.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think your sweet daughter could make a bad picture with a bad camera! Ol' Mike

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home