A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Outfitting the Nikon

As I continue surfing the web looking for information on the Nikon D-200, I am getting more and more charged over the great deal I found. Of course, not having purchased the camera new, I had to take what I got. I went over to Adorama to do a little shopping. I was missing lens caps and body caps, and I needed a strap.

Back when I was carrying my X-700 and assorted gear all around the Far East, I learned to love the Op-Tech Pro line of camera straps. Surprisingly, Adorama had the one I like for less than I could find it on ebay. I started an order.......

The lens caps I was missing were available. Click. An extra battery so one can be charging while two are working. Click. A Compact Flash memory card. Click. A rubber eye cup. I like those. Click. Op-Tech hood hats. Those will be handy. Click.

What's this? Used equipment? No stopping me now..... Time to make this order worthwhile! I poke around a while until I find a Nikon 18-70 3.5/4.5g ED-IF A-fs-DX w/cs lense. I read up on digital SLRs at Ken Rockwell's website, and I learn that this lens would likely be my workhorse if I had it. At $239 it was a deal. Click.

I have a feeling that a long dormant passion is coming back to life. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up with the changes over the past two decades. Photography isn't what it used to be. One thing hasn't changed though. It's not the camera that makes the photo, it's the photographer. A better camera just gets out of his way.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Carteach said...

All of my photography is done with a high end point/shoot digital. That next step to a digital SLR is past financially doable for me just now.

You have the idea right, by my measure. It's the photographer, not the camera. The technology just helps make it happen. Go for it!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulation on getting the D200 for a price that's a steal. I've listed a couple of my favorite photo web sites below . . . all great resources. Bjorn Rorslett's site has the most comprehensive reviews (and testing) of Nikon lenses that I've seen on the web. Thom Hogan puts together the absolute best manuals for set-up and use of Nikon cameras. Highly recommended. And Dave Black . . . just one of the most creative and talented sports photographers on the planet. Lots of good ideas and photo essays on his site.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html (Bjorn Rorslett)
http://www.daveblackphotography.com
http://www.bythom.com/

Enjoy,
Jack Heinemann
www.wildlightphotography.com

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right the camera should just get out of the way and let the man do the job.You can't make up for an unskilled man with a hi-dollar camera.It works the same with a gun or for that matter any tool.Xav your values are a lot like mine

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun! I chose a top of the line Canon, 8 MP, 12X optical zoom. It is about the same size as a SLR.
After having a film SLR with all the lenses & accessories, I was burned out, so I went with the all-in-one. It is great fun shooting the alligators, sharks, dolphins, manatees, otters and other wildlife from my boat. Sometimes alligators come up my boat ramp to sun themselves in my yard.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buying a camera is a lot like buying a new gun ... You start with the camera (gun), which is the "expensive" part of the deal...

Then you add memory (ammo), cases (holsters), lenses (scopes)... I think I have yet to buy a gun and quickly spend less than the gun cost on ammo and accessories.

That lens you got will definitely be your go-to lens; I use my (Canon) 17-85mm IS lens constantly, and switch to a fast prime 50mm for some work.

Looking forward to seeing results!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X,
Congrats on the great deal. You got the camera for only a little more than the lens is worth. I'm a working pro using a D300 as my primary and a D200 as a second/backup.

As I'm sure you already have, you'll find plenty of resources on the net for additional equipment. One of the best suggestions I can make, thought, would be to pick up Thom Hogan's guide for the D200(http://bythom.com/d200guide.htm). It's not cheap ($37) but Thom's guides are exhaustively complete, written in plain language and will give you information that Nikon's manual just doesn't provide. Be sure to read Thom's lens recommendations, as well.

Have fun with the new acquisition.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Xavier Congrats on renewing old passions.I know the feeling. I just picked up an older Anschutz 22 hunting rifle for my 9 year old. But thats not the reason I'm writing. I just watched, for the second night in a row, Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. If you haven't seen it you need to. Some great lines and great guns. Blessings to you and your family. I hope you blog forever.
Brian

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say also get yourself a couple of (relatively inexpensive) primes. The 50mm, despite its plastic body is a standard, and very useful. It acts like a 75mm on a digi because of "sensor crop" of about 1.5.

I find the extra f-stops to f1.8 really make a difference for being able to get great shots without high sensitivities (noise). Zooms that hold these kind of f-stops get very very expensive and usually heavy.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Robert Langham said...

You're already one of the best photographers on the web. What the heck WERE you using?

Congrats and much happy shooting with the new Nikon.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Xav -

No offense, but forget KR. You'd do better by perusing Tom Hogan's Nikon site - www.bythom.com

9:56 AM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

You're probably going to want the 55-200vr as well.

That'll give you all but a really long zoom.

Then you'll probably want a superwide, and a fast prime.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home