A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Twilight Shooting

Click to enlargeI am on call this weekend, but I still managed to find time to shoot a few portraits just before twilight. these photos were shot with the Nikon D-200 and a Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8 lens set at f1.8. Mode was aperture priority with a shutter speed of 60-100. The ISO was set to automatic.

I apologize for the lack of gun stuff of late. This is supposed to be a gun type blog after all. Between being on call, sleeping off the work and a runny nose, and teaching myself to use a new camera, I did not make it to the range today. Perhaps I will go tomorrow if I get done with cases soon enough.

I guess I could say this is a shooting blog, whether cameras or firearms. Nah.... Its a personal blog, and sometimes I will use it for record keeping. Click to enlargeKeeping a record and understanding why certain things occur in photography is integral to the learning process. If a photographer does not understand why a serendipitous effect occurred, they have no hope of repeating it when they would like.

I really thought that I would like the top two photos while I was shooting, but the contre-jour around the architecture bothers me. As it turned out, I much prefer the third shot. I like the expression that could mean anything. I like the rhythm set up in the back ground. I like being able to read "Carnival" on the shirt. In regards to composition, it is the strongest. Oddly enough, it was the one I simply shot.

Click to enlarge

Nikon D-200, Nikkor 85mm, ƒ1.8

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oddly enough, it was the one I simply shot. "

But you shot it, and that's what matters

;-)

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I haven't encountered the term for it before, I agree the background in the first two is a bit of a distraction. Seeing these photos makes me a little more educated in my envy of my co-worker, who has the same camera as you have.

Jim

9:53 PM  
Blogger the pawnbroker said...

i'm no shutterbug, xavier, but i disagree...

photography, like most other pursuits, can itself get in the way of the goal; concerns of framing, focus, background, etc. can become so all-consuming that one can lose sight of a simple fact: the subject is the thing.

and when it comes to that, your first photo wins hands-down. offhand, unposed, sublime, it speaks volumes; real life frozen in time.

jtc

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may suppose to be a gun blog, but when you digress you at least pick a nice looking subject to phtograph.In this case I would not be suprised to find out that the shooter is related to the shootee.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well heck, just get her to pose with a gun.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Retired Rick said...

Do you have a camera with you most of the time? Have you seen something and said to your self "That's a Kodak moment" and stopped to take the photo. Chances are it's in your blood. Anyone can take pictures with the new digital cameras. Having an eye for composition and willingness to try different things will show thru. Those are the Photographers.

Retired Rick

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you get better with the camera, try shooting (takign a picture of) a person while they are engaged in some activity that defines them or in an activity that takes them at least slightly off guard. The pictures themselves will then show more relaxed facial muscles and inner peace will shine through.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exposure of the last one also serves to highlight your subject. In the first two she's semi-shadowed, while the sky is blown-out, drawing my eye away from your real subject. But with nothing but building behind her, you were able to expose for her face, and though it almost looks slightly OVERexposed, it works for her skin tone and hair, making her pop off the background and faintly glow, her crackly whisps standing sharply off the brick.

By the way, now that you're blogging about guns AND photography, I'm sure I won't be getting a lot of work done.

Keep it up!

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the third shot as well. Most of my real keepers have been totally spontaneous. My favorite thing about converting to digital has been that I'm not worried about burning film and I can shoot all I want and just delete.

I think that photography trained my trigger finger. I learned to keep the rest of my hand still while depressing the shutter release. I shoot aperture mode a lot in low light and I tend to be below the rule of shutter speed = focal length, so I had to be steady. I think that control translated to the trigger instinctively.

Thanks again.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home