A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Metal Lens Mounts

As my old Nikkormat FTn shows, I can be rather rough to brutal on camera gear over time. It's not that I don't care, I do take care of my equipment. I don't pamper it though. Click to enlargeWhen I am traveling, a camera is on a strap around my neck and shoulder. It is frequently uncased in the car. It dangles when boarding boats. Things get tossed on it, it gets bumped into things. I demand equipment that will stand up to that kind of use. To me, a camera with brassing is the same as an old distinguished Smith & Wesson that has muzzle and cylinder wear. It simply shows that a great piece of kit has been performing the job it was designed to do.

Unless it is marketed as such, a camera should not be disposable. For a photographer to fully realize a camera's potential and to use it as an extension of his eye, a period of getting to know (and then forget about) the equipment must take place. After that happens, the shots become automatic. Lenses are a part of that equation and should not be disposable either. Nikon lenses are quality optics, and that quality should not be limited to the glass. If I can't get a metal barrel and rings, I at least want a metal mount. When I discussed my preferences for a 70-210 zoom, some readers wondered why I needed a metal lens mount. Here is a photo lifted from an ebay auction that speaks a thousand words.

Click to enlarge



Anonymous FatWhiteMan said...

Yup. That never happened with any of my F-mount lenses.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous 123 Click said...

I've heard of that happening just by picking the camera up by the lens!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous chris said...

as someone that commented on the metal mounted lenses, and someone that owns 3 of the plastic ones... i have to say, the one you show seems to be a whole lot flimsier than the af-s lenses that are made for the D series SLR Nikons...

i dont know for sure about their durability... but in the 2 years ive had my D series, the only lens problems i have had were internal ones...

2:24 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Yep, I'm not quite certain what happened to this one Chris. Just call me spooky and old fashioned.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Janir said...

Check out some of Michael Yon's old dispatches. He did a breakdown a year or so back on sturdy cameras he used in Iraq following solders.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link