A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, May 24, 2009

100 Strangers

I have begun participating in a group on flickr that seeks to photograph 100 different strangers (per photographer) as a learning experience. A lot of the participants seem to be quite shy about approaching a complete stranger and asking to photograph them. For some reason, this does not seem to be a problem for me.

Perhaps it is because of my time spent in Japan, where strangers often approach each other for photographs. Perhaps it is because I have worked as a nurse, where I deal with complete strangers on a rather intimate, albeit professional basis each day. Perhaps my ease comes from a long history of reading people. I don't know why, I just don't seem to have a problem with the approach. Heck, all they can say is no.

In reality, I think that I can simply pick out the willing. They advertise the fact that they want to be seen like a peacock. It's the people who are the most unusual that not only make the most interesting photographs, but also are the most willing to allow an unknown photographer to document their appearance. People like Mr. Fontana, pictured here, are much more difficult to convince.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alex said...

Xsav, I am struck by how different your color and b&w portraits are.

B&W are full of life and character, and far more superior in photographic quality. Color portraits on the other hand are very amateurish looking. I just cant put my finger on it.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed your photography, thanks for sharing. There's a photographer I know who, two years in a row, has done a 30 Strangers project where he shoots (no pun intended) strangers, one a day for the month. Check it out at www.justinhackworth.com/blog.

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home