A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wireless Remote Release

I am strongly considering purchasing a remote shutter release for my Nikon D200. The particular device pictured here seems to be the most applicable to my needs. The distance I will be using it at will be only ten to thirty feet, so the exceptional range that is advertised is a simple bonus. At Amazon.com, these sell for $59.99. I can order another battery to round out the battery rotation in the same shipment.
*Range up to 100 m (320 ft) without obstacles
*Can activate auto focus, release shutter, activate continuous drive mode or keep the shutter open for bulb photography as well
*The shutter button can be pressed halfway or all the way.
*Number of control output channels: 16 channels available.
Years ago I had a point and shoot Canon that had an infrared remote release. It was nice. My old Nikon film cameras accept cable releases, but of course, the new breed of cameras do not. The D200 takes an electronic remote release whether it is hooked to the camera or whether it sends a signal through radio waves. So, when I remember the flexibility of the little Canon's infrared remote, a wireless remote seems the way to go. If anyone has any experience, good or bad with Opteka products, please advise.

Article for future reference

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Ed Skinner said...

I remember having a squeeze bulb with a long hose and a plunger on the other end to release the shutter. For 1/10th to 2 second exposures, there was no smoother way to release the shutter.

Wish I had one of those for my 1911!

3:26 PM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

I love the tiny $15 Nikon one for my D80. I dont think it works for the D200 though.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

I posted in your 'Guns and Hammers' entry.

Just wanted you to know, because of your entry, I've learned about a pretty cool gadget I would have never bothered looking for.

I always learn something here (even if it isn't gun or hammer related).

11:28 PM  
Anonymous dave said...

I've got an Opteka cabled release for my Canon 20D and it's great. It's got an intervalometer that I've used to great effect several times. Overall quality is good and the price can't be beat, esp. considering the price of the Canon equivalent.

http://www.opteka.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=127

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My D60 also uses the $15 IR remote. I think the range is limited to 30 feet or so.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Chris Bennett said...

Xavier, I can personally speak for the Gadget Infinity remotes. I got mine on fleabay, and I believe that they cost less than that (same looking plastic houseing, likley the exact same product w/ a different label.)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I shoot a Nikon F4S and have an extremely long cable release that I use to shoot family portraits. My mother was a portrait photog and did the same thing with her old twin lens reflex she used to shoot with.....gary

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home