A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pawn Shop Circuit: Tough Times

I had some time off call after cases today, and I used part of it driving around to several pawn shops looking for guns. What I found was reaffirmation of why I tapered off on the pawn shop circuit. The pickings were available, but the entry price was high. I found 9mm Glocks at each pawn shop. The cheapest one was $499. The most expensive was $579. I'm not enough of a Glock fan to distinguish between them all, but there were little ones, short ones long ones, and they were all black and polymer. Five hundred bucks and a twenty or two seems to be the going rate right now.

Neil had two Taurus 1911s, one in 45ACP for $549, and one in .38 super for $499. His rack was full of shotguns and deer rifles. He told me times are getting tough, and people are not showing back up with their pawn tickets. At Kenny's shop I found a couple of Smith & Wesson M&P pistols, and a Springfield XD. Kenny also had a full rack of deer rifles and shotguns. I noticed in each pawn shop the power tool shelves were full of tools. That's probably a fair indicator of the economy.

A new place had opened up, so I decided to check out their wares as well. They had a couple of Browning Challengers that were priced around three fifty, and a Colt WWI Reproduction tagged at $1300. Several black rifles were among the display of long guns. The lady behind the counter informed me that she would be happy to order what ever I wanted, and I guess I should have asked what she charges for a FFL transfer. I haven't ordered a firearm and paid a transfer in a couple of years now. I just haven't had the need to do so. Also on her shelves were two Colt 1911s in bright nickel, and a slew of revolvers, all new, and most of them Rossi. Seeing the pawn shop shelves fill back up, it makes me wonder what might become available in the coming months. Hopefully, a few guns more to my taste will emerge, and they will be in my price range.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Xader said...

Geez....Glocks can be had for those prices new!!!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pawn shop I visit on a semi-regular basis had a four inch Colt Python in excellent condition yesterday. The asking was $550. I have heard much praise for this gun, so I fondled it awhile. At $350, I might have been interested.

The trigger stack was awful. Worse than my Colt Cobra. But the looks, fit, and finish of it was beautiful.

For round gun triggers, I'll take a Smith. I have a 6" M14, 4" M15, 6" M17, and a 2 1/2" M66. All have wonderful factory stock triggers.

I thanked the owner and told him the Python will make another buyer very happy. I left feeling somewhat sorry for whomever had to part with a piece of Colt history.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think EMTs (you may qualify) can get new in the box Glocks for right at $400....

I'd like to go pick up some deer rifles from pawn shops but I've just always been appalled by their prices. They want to sell used crap for more expensive than I can buy it new at Academy down the street.... It just doesn't make sense.


What is the trick to finding the bargains?

7:30 AM  
Blogger Weer'd Beard said...

I know they're not your MO, but what's your take on the M&Ps?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Janir said...

Seems a fair amount of people who bought guns earlier are changing their minds and pawning them off for cash?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

Yeah, it's tough times all around.

In my pawn shop travels I'm looking for a left-hand bolt in .30-06. I normally don't see many left had bolts because folks who buy them intend to keep them. However, I've seen a couple in the last month, just not in -06.

I'm also always in the market for a good left-handed 870.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking at Glock 30 and 21's. From what I'm seeing, prices that people ask for used ones in that caliber (either in private sales or in venues and web sites selling used guns) are so close to the new price that buying new is the only really attractive option. In many cases, the difference in price is not even $100.

If you see a lot of Glock 9mm's in pawn shops, it's very telling because normally it seems to me that the pawn shop would be the place where you'd get the worst price for it, whether you hock it or sell it outright.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: prevous post.

I should have mentioned that in my local gun shop about $550-575 is the price for a new Glock in .45

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

janir,

In response to the implication in your post, unless most of the guns sold in that area by people who "bought guns earlier" were deer rifles and shotguns, it seems that the answer to your question is "no".

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Obamonomics.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home