A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, July 06, 2009

Colt Recall Update

On Tuesday of last week I filled out Colt's online request for a new Defender recoil assembly. I received the unit in a bubble wrapped plastic envelope today. Decently fast service.

I'm not wanting to send in the other two pistols for a thumb safety replacement under Colt's recall. I don't mind sending them in, it's just that I don't want to have to wait at the house to sign for the package when it returns. I can replace the New Agent thumb safety myself, if Hartford will just send a new recoil assembly my way for it as well. I will have to give them a call and see if they will. Doubtful, but you never know.........

edited on Saturday, 7-11-09: I used the website link and had a new recoil assembly for my Defender in two days.

I called Colt and spoke with a young lady about my New Agent. I explained that the thumb safety had already been replaced by a competent gunsmith (I did not say the competent gunsmith was myself....). Colt agreed to send me a new recoil assembly through the mail for the New Agent. Colt did ask that I ensure the recall thumb safety was destroyed. The second recoil assembly for the New Agent arrived today.

On my WWI Reproduction, I will order a new thumb safety from Colt, and pay for it myself, when they become available. That's my solution to the problem.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Katar Hol said...

I filled out the form on 6/30 in the evening and received the recoil spring for my Defender on 7/3. Not bad...

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a Colt. But for those who do, please keep us informed.

B Woodman
III

7:56 AM  
Blogger JAFO said...

Along similar lines, I have to send the ENTIRE bloody upper receiver assembly back to DPMS due to their gross negligence in machining the gas port15 degrees out of spec, resulting in the FSB being 15 degrees out of line with the upper.

- and this made it past their QC, HOW?

Don't get me wrong- it's a fine weapon- I just can't believe they let this go.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Wally said...

Light posting X ? I figured you were taking your camera and driving to Hartford to complete a photo essay of a Colt recall :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Chris Gallucci said...

Have you shot your New Agent since replacing the spring? I just saw a posting about repeated FTFs from someone that just got theirs back from Colt.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

No I haven't. I did shoot the Defender, it did fine. Perhaps I should put a little more lead through it........

8:07 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Xavier,

I've been reading your blog for a while and finally bought a Colt New Agent. I'm going to send it back in a couple of weeks but I'm wondering where you bought the trigger you have on your New Agent or who made it?

Thanks.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Hi Sean,
The trigger came out of my parts box. I'm pretty certain it's a trigger out of a Springfield Mil-Spec.

I think C&S makes a solid parked trigger as well.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Thanks Xavier,
I'll look into C&S. I'm thinking about an aluminum mainspring housing as well but we'll see.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Xavier,

On your Colt New Agent, I was curious what thumb safety you chose to replace the factory one. I am considering replacing mine with an extended thumb safety (although a narrow one). I am going to have a local gun smith install for me, but I am concerned about finding the best fit and function. Would appreciate your insights.

Joe

5:38 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I used a standard Colt teardrop. I may end up putting on an Ed Brown single sided tactical with the extended part removed.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home