A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

200 More

I took the Clark Custom Commander out this afternoon and fired another 200 trouble-free rounds through it. Not even a hiccup. The matte hard chrome makes presentation from a holster slick as hog snot, and clean-up afterwards is a breeze. This pistol is nearing the top of my favorites list.

For those who are wondering, it's a Colt Combat Commander, a Series 70 gun with the lightened slide. The hammer has been replaced with a Nowlin Speed Demon, and the trigger is a McCormick. Thumb safety is a single sided Ed Brown tactical, and the mainspring housing is an aluminum SW1911 checkered unit. The rear sight is likely a Safariland, while the front is a serrated ramp with an orange insert. The grips are cocobolo from Fusion. The pistol has been melted by Clark's and hard chromed. All else is bone stock Colt. If anything, such as the slide stop looks custom, it's because Clark Custom melted it.

Thanks, Doc, for letting me shoot a bit at your place.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Smilin-buddha said...

Great looking pistol

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Billy Budd said...

My birthday is less than two weeks away, if you need some ideas, THAT would make an awesome gift......

7:14 PM  
Blogger Mongo said...

I like the looks, and description, of that piece. Very nice.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Peter said...

off topic: I'd very much appreciate more coverage of US domestic firearm policy and proposed Medicare changes.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Seabat said...

Xav,
Great article and picture.
My first Colt was an electroless nickle Combat Commander in .45 ACP. I think it was made in 1974(?).I bought it in '75.
I carried it off duty for a couple years before selling it to another officer who still owns it.
Back then, everyone who could lay their hands on a Colt was buying them up.Great guns. I carried inside the waistband with a locally made custom holster.
I own three 1911's now and my Lightweight is my favorite. I've regretted every Colt I've ever sold. Hang onto them, Folks.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home