A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, November 30, 2009

Pawn Shop Circuit: Ammo Considerations

I've only shot the modern rendition of the Smith and Wesson M&P a couple of times, and I was impressed. To me, it seemed to be a decently designed, reliable and accurate pistol. It felt good in my hand, and the controls were instinctive. Reading about the torture test of the M&P on pistoltraining.com attested to the plastic M&P's durability. It seemed to be a good gun if a person wanted a plastic fantastic.

So when I walked into Neil's pawn shop today and saw two black polymer M&Ps among the Glocks, I was surprised and a bit interested. (There was only a S&W Model 66 and a Taurus 1911 to draw my attention elsewhere.) I quickly noted that one M&P was priced at $519 while the other was $349. The less expensive pistol did not seem to have that much wear than the other, but then I noticed..... The $519 gun was chambered in 9mm. The less expensive pistol was in 40S&W. Popularity of caliber does play a role at the used gun counter, something for any new gun purchaser and future gun trader to consider.

At Kenny's pawn shop, I noted yet another used M&P. This one, like Neil's, was priced at $350. It was chambered in .357 Sig. Curious, I drove to the big box sporting goods store nearby, to get a retail price on a new Smith & Wesson M&P. The same pistol, in 9mm as Neil had sold new for $549 plus tax. I'm pretty certain Neil was giving himself some bargaining room with favored customers. While at the big box store, I noted the new .22LR Ar style rifle being put out by S&W was also on hand, priced at a nice $449. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Hyman Roth said...

google "LASD" and "M&P".

Some problems with the M&P.

http://policelink.monster.com/topics/57011-officer-safety-lasd-de-certifies-sw-mp-pistol/posts

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For $350 I would jump on a .357 Sig....

8:53 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

It should be noted that during the ammo rush one could often find .40 even when the 9mm, .45, and .38 were long gone. Given that my primary carry gun is in .40 I lucked out and was never unable to find ammo to practice with it. Sometimes a less popular caliber can work for you.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous ka said...

Me, my wife, and all of my kids have been having great fun with the S&M 15-22.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I have found it tough to buy locally 357 sig,40 smith, even 45 acp in the last year.

I however have recently been seeing 45 coming back and just yesterday at walmart on college I was buying some 45 acp (no WWB) and saw some 40 smith so its still trickling in.

357 sig and 40 smith brass from my glock is not easily reloaded since the brass isnt fully supported and has somewhat of a bulge.

On a good note federal fmj 45acp was only 15 bucks plus tax for 50.

10:40 AM  
Blogger AJ187 said...

Looks like you got some things to think about.............

8:48 PM  
Anonymous aczarnowski said...

The M&P has been kicking Glock's tail pretty hard IMO. Heavy marketing from Smith, magazine rebates and very competitive base prices make a great package.

pistoltraining.com putting 50k plus through one is enough for me on the reliability front.

The clincher was replaceable back straps (hello? glock?) and the well modeled base grip profile. My wife runs her's with a small insert and I run mine with a medium. Everybody that's shot mine liked it.

The M&P9 is this family's go to full sized pistol. The Walther P99 I bought too quickly hasn't seen a box of ammo since the M&P arrived.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Mike in Montana said...

X:

Like the previous poster said, the Smith M&P15-22 (methinks S&M stands for something else!) is a great little rifle! I absolutely love mine and may buy another just 'cause! While it will never (in my lifetime anyway) eclipse the sales numbers of the 10/22 (which I also own and love), I do believe the 15-22 and the Colt version may become the 10/22s of the new century.

Get one already!

Mike Harbour
Helena, Montana

8:21 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

I picked up a 15-22 a while back. Right out of the box I had some ejection problems, so it went back to the factory. It came back with no more problem, AND it now digests ammo it would not before.

I'm guessing I had one of those 'slipped through QC' problems, as I've not heard of the same problem elsewhere. I haven't actually gone looking for it, so there may have been some others out there.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked up a S&W 15-22. You'll love it. Both my kids love it. And we can all shoot it unlike the youth model 22 bolt action I had bought previously. Optics Planet has a sale on optics right now. Xavier check out Chief AJ for the most fun shooting camp you'll ever go to. Thats why I got the 15-22...for shooting trap. Theres a camp somewher in La. Plus the S&W has a true AR trigger group, customize to your hearts desire.
Brian

4:37 AM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

I was recently issued a SW M&P .45 ACP. It has become standard for duty in our department.

It's okay, I guess. It goes bang when I pull the trigger. We were issued the pistol and a holster the same day we were introduced to the new POST course and scores dropped an average 5% across the board. We don't know if we can attribute that to the pistol, holster, or new course, but scores dropped.

Until now, with over 25 years in police work, I've carried three pistols. I started on the line with a Smith 66, went to a Smith 60 for plainclothes work and went to a Kimber 1911 when I went back into uniform. This M&P is my fourth duty pistol and it doesn't seem to have the soul of the revolvers or the Kimber.

1:15 PM  
Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

The LASD problems with the M&P were resolved a while ago. Check the Smith and Wesson forum for the story.

I just bought a M&P 9c and really like it. I like it much more than I did my Glock 23.

I fired Ambulance Driver's (actually KatyBeth's) M&P 15-22 and it's a fun rifle. Kind of spendy for a .22, but still a lot of fun.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home