A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Separating the Diamond Magnas

One of the finer points of S&W wheelgun collecting is making sure your purchase is correct and original. One item that is frequently overlooked on pre-model number guns is the transitional magna grips. Later magna grips can be diamond grips, but there is a fine difference. Once you see it, you do not forget it. The difference is the top edge of the grip. The early magnas, introduced on some models as early as the 1930s had a less rounded edge on the upper curve of the grip. At some point in the early 1950s, the later, rounded style appeared. Diamond grips should have the revolver's serial number stamped into one side. If this is not the case, look deeper.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered about that! Thank you!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Ebby1600 said...

Nov 25, 2010. I just looked on gunbroker and there are three set of these grips for sale. The descriptioins appear to be just the opposite of the description in this article. There is a set with a more rounded top curve advertised as the older grip with a starting bid of $450. Two other sets have the sharper edged top and are starting at $99. So what is the true story. I understand there is a book by Supica and Nahas that explain this in more detail but I do not have access to this book.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Ebby1600 said...

Nov 25 2010: I just looked at three sets of Diamond Magna grips on gunbroker. The descriptions and pictures on gunbroker were opposite of what this article states. The older set $450 shows a picture with the top edge of the grip rounded. The two others at $99 have the sharper edged top. I have a set on auction that have the more rounded top. S/N 94 423 I don't have Supica and Nahas. So basically I am confused.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

That's why I wrote this piece with these photos. Gunbroker sellers sometimes get it wrong. If you are buying $100 S&W grips on Gunbroker, I recommend you buy Supica and Nahas first. The money you save will pay for the book quickly.

The Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson by Supica and Nahas is available everywhere from amazon.com. There is a link to it in my sidebar on this blog. the book costs $28.97, and is the authoritive reference. It is what I use, and what this information is garnered from.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home