A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Springfield Mil-Spec

Between patients today I stopped by the range to run a few rounds through my Whitney Wolverine. I have been doing a little tweaking to get rid of light strikes.

On the used gun rack was a Springfield 1911, the GI45. This was a consignment pistol, with a McCormick trigger, and a Wilson magazine. It was the parkerized Government Model. It had a $400 price tag on it, and included the original magazine and a nylon holster. I almost bit........until I remembered the gun show this weekend. I might find a Colt for that money.........

Today, I am a die hard Colt fanatic, but my first 1911 was a Springfield Mil-Spec. I do have a soft spot for the Springers. I still own my first Springfield 1911, although it has gone through some changes, and is essentially retired. I just can't bring myself to let it go. My Mil-Spec recieved new grips, a Colt trigger, along with a trigger job, a King's bushing and hammer, an Ed Brown ambi safety, and a McCormick rear sight. I have over 10,000 rounds down the pipe with this pistol, and I have only experienced one malfunction. One.

I recommend the Springfield Mil-Spec right alongside the NRM Colt as the perfect choice for the 1911 novice. It is affordable, reliable, durable, and incredibly addictive. Even if you never loosen a grip screw, you will find this pistol to be an incredible value. People have taken it straight from the counter to IDPA matches, with little more than a squirt of CLP on the rails, and found it to be 100% reliable. In the past, Springfields have taken a hit compared to Colts and Kimbers at the trade-in counter. One must remember, however, you buy the pistol for less to start with. Also, to take the hit, an owner must trade in the pistol. I don't ever expect to trade mine in, so it's a non-issue for me. For the person who wants to venture into the world of John Moses Browning's 1911 brainchild and see if they will enjoy a gun of infinite possibilities, undisputed effectiveness, and incredible value, the Springfield Mil-Spec is a $500 ticket to never seeing any handgun in the same way again. The 1911 raises the bar for all handguns. The Springfield Mil-Spec raises the bar for affordable 1911s. Get one. You will not regret it.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't they ~$350ish NiB?

I could have sworn that I've seen them for well under 4 brand new. Buddy of mine was debating between that and the Phillipines made Rock Island, and went with the RI, (shade under $300, and the dealer was willing to take a trade), but there wasn't a huge price difference.. (Or has the price jumped?

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ain't capitalism and competition grand. For about the same price as 10 years ago, you can now buy a Springfield with gunsmith features built in, lowered eject port, beveled mag well, raised sights, beavertail, trigger job, etc. The old 1911 should live forever(in freedom). And now, even the wheelgun king(S&W) is making 1911s. Even the Dept of Defense is answering soldiers demands and going back to the man-stopping .45acp in 1911s.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

In my area the GI45 goes for about $450 NIB. You might find a NIB one for $390 or so at a gun show. I was pleased to get my GI45 for $425 when they first came out. The Mil-Specs have always been $500 or so around here.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

I might add that, as a platform for a future custom, the MilSpec is a better buy than the GI (or "Even MilSpeccer MilSpec") since it already has the lowered & flared ejection port and bevelled mag well. Having those two features added to the GI by a good 'smith would cost more than the price difference between the two guns, especially when the required refinishing costs are computed.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I presume that a "bevelled mag well" eases insertion of the magazine? Or what?

What does a "lowered & flared ejection port" do for me?

Serious questions; I have zero experience with the 1911. I really appreciate the articles which don't assume a fuly-knowledgable audience.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I'm sorry homebru.
A beveled magwell does indeed make quick mag insertions more of a sure thing. A lowered ejection port allows rounds to be tossed to the side instead of vertically, lessening the chance of a noggin hit. A flared ejection port reduces the dents in the brass for reloading.
Some folks, myself included, prefer the GI ejection port because less crap gets in under the barrel.
Thanks for the idea. coming soon.....a post on the why's of these modifications.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't apologize, pardner. You just keep writing and I'll try to hang on. If I fall off, I'll holler.

I do thank you for your willingness to answer questions. I read so many articles about modifying the 1911 that sometimes I wonder about Mr. Browning's abilities. Like, if it needs all these different mods, how does it ever work in the first place.

And then I see a simple statement from you or Tam or a couple of others about out-of-box gear and I learn something.

Looking forward to your thoughts on other mods and why folks do them. Maybe you could make triggers an early topic.

10:51 PM  
Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

Got mine a year ago and hven't fired nearly enough rounds through it..

New year and that will definitely change!!

I do love it though; reliable and fits pretty will in my hand.

Good advice; mine will be with me and go to my son.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Area 13 said...

Xavier,
I just bought my first 1911 - Springfield Milspec. I've wanted a 1911 for years, and have always went with smaller, more concealable guns. Just couldn't bring myself to buy a pistol just because I wanted to have it.

I'm military, and I've shot a few 1911s in various rigs, but I have to say that straight out of the box this gun suits me better that any firearm I have ever picked up. The trigger is short and crisp, the wooden grips that came with it fit my hand great and the accuracy was incredible.

The first shot at seven yards covered the "X" and the next four were within a silver dollar sized group. I shot four different off the shelf types of ammo, and one box of reloads. No malfunctions. I shot off hand, loose grip, and rapid fire and was delighted with each one (rapid fire group was all in the black by the way and as fast as I could squeeze it). I have never been able to keep a five round group in the 6 inch ring on rapid fire at seven yards with any other gun but this one, and I did it twice - fire, drop clip, fire.

In short, I am truly in love with my gun. I'm sold on 1911s for life, and am already looking for my next one.
-Yeehaw

9:37 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Yeah Baby! Another convert to spread the gospel!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home