A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Nickel Model 28s

Among his other shelf coolers, Neil had added a Llama Max-1 Government Model this morning. The price was attractive at $239, but Llamas have a spotty history of reliability. I have never personally owned one, but I have heard stories. None of the stories have been good. When I got home I did a bit of research on the Llamas and found that some folks are happy with them. I also found that the Llama does not have total parts interchangeability with the Colt 1911. That's enough for me. A spotty reliability history, limited parts interchangeability, and a company that has gone out of business twice. I also saw that $239 was a hopeful price on this pistol. Neil probably thought I would jump on it like I did the SW1911s. Neil thought wrong.


I made a point of going by to see Amber today. The road construction outside her place was complete. Amber had a nice little H&R revolver complete with a carved leather holster. It was tempting to buy the outfit just to get the holster and then sell the gun. For $125 that might be possible, but risky. I decided to let the little H&R lie.

Dave confirmed that I had missed out on a nickel Smith & Wesson last Saturday. He said it was a Model 28. I smiled. To my knowledge, the Model 28 was only made in brushed blue, as an economy version of the Model 27 for police use. Dave said he let it go for $200, since it was a bit worn. Dave felt certain the nickel was factory. I was pretty sure that I had not missed out on much. When I got home, I checked The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson anyway. My smugness was eroded when I saw that Supica referenced a "few reported" nickel Model 28s that were produced as salesman samples, and twenty five nickel Model 28s marked FHP for the Florida Highway Patrol. Damn.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now and I really enjoy your stuff, but I've gotta call it quits.

Your white on black color scheme kills my eyes. I don't know if it's because I use an LCD screen or just because my eyes are sensitive but your color scheme almost causes physical pain. Then when I go back to more traditional black on white screen, it's like I was just in a dark room and someone turned on bright lights.

If you ever change your color scheme, visit my blog, email me or otherwise let me know and I'll come back. I really do enjoy reading your blog, I just can't do it any more with that color scheme. I stopped reading the Anarchangel's blog for the same reason.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found the same thing. I *HATE* white text on a black background. Especially small text.

I found a solution that lets me read Xavier's and Chris's blogs. I increase the text size 3 increments larger. This is in Firefox.

It works well and I can continue to enjoy two otherwise fine blogs.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I prefer a high contrast...

What I hate is websites that have a light colored background, and text that is also light colored.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sigivald said...

I don't know that I'd get a Llama .45 (since there's no point in a 1911 that isn't really a 1911, these days), but I really like my Llama .380.

It's one of the micro-1911-style guns, and it's perfectly reliable. I don't know if it's parts-compatible with the Mustang, but I can't say I care about it in a pocket gun, and the price difference is more substantial than between full-size .45s.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home