A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Nickel Model 28s

Among his other shelf coolers, Neil had added a Llama Max-1 Government Model this morning. The price was attractive at $239, but Llamas have a spotty history of reliability. I have never personally owned one, but I have heard stories. None of the stories have been good. When I got home I did a bit of research on the Llamas and found that some folks are happy with them. I also found that the Llama does not have total parts interchangeability with the Colt 1911. That's enough for me. A spotty reliability history, limited parts interchangeability, and a company that has gone out of business twice. I also saw that $239 was a hopeful price on this pistol. Neil probably thought I would jump on it like I did the SW1911s. Neil thought wrong.

I made a point of going by to see Amber today. The road construction outside her place was complete. Amber had a nice little H&R revolver complete with a carved leather holster. It was tempting to buy the outfit just to get the holster and then sell the gun. For $125 that might be possible, but risky. I decided to let the little H&R lie.

Dave confirmed that I had missed out on a nickel Smith & Wesson last Saturday. He said it was a Model 28. I smiled. To my knowledge, the Model 28 was only made in brushed blue, as an economy version of the Model 27 for police use. Dave said he let it go for $200, since it was a bit worn. Dave felt certain the nickel was factory. I was pretty sure that I had not missed out on much. When I got home, I checked The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson anyway. My smugness was eroded when I saw that Supica referenced a "few reported" nickel Model 28s that were produced as salesman samples, and twenty five nickel Model 28s marked FHP for the Florida Highway Patrol. Damn.



Blogger Sailorcurt said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now and I really enjoy your stuff, but I've gotta call it quits.

Your white on black color scheme kills my eyes. I don't know if it's because I use an LCD screen or just because my eyes are sensitive but your color scheme almost causes physical pain. Then when I go back to more traditional black on white screen, it's like I was just in a dark room and someone turned on bright lights.

If you ever change your color scheme, visit my blog, email me or otherwise let me know and I'll come back. I really do enjoy reading your blog, I just can't do it any more with that color scheme. I stopped reading the Anarchangel's blog for the same reason.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found the same thing. I *HATE* white text on a black background. Especially small text.

I found a solution that lets me read Xavier's and Chris's blogs. I increase the text size 3 increments larger. This is in Firefox.

It works well and I can continue to enjoy two otherwise fine blogs.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous freddyboomboom said...

And I prefer a high contrast...

What I hate is websites that have a light colored background, and text that is also light colored.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sigivald said...

I don't know that I'd get a Llama .45 (since there's no point in a 1911 that isn't really a 1911, these days), but I really like my Llama .380.

It's one of the micro-1911-style guns, and it's perfectly reliable. I don't know if it's parts-compatible with the Mustang, but I can't say I care about it in a pocket gun, and the price difference is more substantial than between full-size .45s.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link