A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, May 13, 2006

AR Thoughts

Sooner or later she was bound to notice. The CDNN and Brownell's catalogs open on the desk to the AR parts and accessories should have been a big clue. Over the past two days I have been researching options, dreaming of building my own AR. The Colt uppers in CDNN are looking very good. Ever since I bought a AR at Dave's, the AR bug has been crawling through my brain nipping it's nether regions.

I had held off on owning an AR for years. I had smirked at the tactical Rambo types who refused to serve Uncle Sugar but coveted the equipment of the military. When I finally found an AR in my price range, though, I bought it. I shot it, painted the armory number of the last EBR I carried on it's butt, and became gut-hooked on the possibilities.

My wife-mate is a lover of old C&R rifles. She likes old walnut and blued steel. She goes for the shabby/chic look with them, the more beat up, the better. Purveyors of Mausers love to see her coming. This morning she went in my gun room to put away some patches she had cut. She saw the AR.

"What the hell is that?"

"Oh, it's a used rifle I found."

"You found it?"

"Well, Yeah, I found it used, but I had to buy it."

"Cool! When do I get to shoot it?"

I love my wife-mate. I demonstrated the manual of arms to her, and saw that she really needed an adjustable stock to handle the rifle well. It is also kind of heavy for her. She is a bitty thing, after all. I can't bring myself to remove the stock with the armory number from my AR, so that leaves but one option.........A Carbon 15. I love my wife!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta love a woman like that!

9:40 AM  
Blogger shooter said...

Now, if I could get my wife to be so accomadating...

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow IS Mother's Day...........

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Damn you...now I can't decide whether to get a Bushmaster or just add an Ultimak and a EoTech to my Arsenal AK...crap!

OK, the latter sure would be cheaper and I'd have to buy the EoTech for any AR that I bought..

Decision made - thanks, X.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Women love AR-15 type rifles for some reason. You oughta just build one from the ground up. Check out www.del-ton.com and look at some other receivers from other people then colt. They are all pretty much the same thing (theres only a handfull of people that make receivers - then they are shipped to the rifle manuf. for finishing) you can get something that works just as well and not pay for the Colt name. As for the stock - take a look at the Ace SOCOM M4 stock. Works real well when I hand it to a chicky snack.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman like that is a real treasure!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home