A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Juniors & Snubs

I swung into Neil's shop today and placed another $40 on my Winchester 1894 on layaway. I still owe a bit on the second SW1911 as well, but I'm going to wait until my job transition is complete before dropping a C note or two on it. Neil had brought out a Colt Junior, complete with it's box. It was an interesting little .25ACP pocket pistol, with a fluted barrel and original grips, but Neil was asking $350 for it.

The Colt Junior is not a Hartford gun. It was actually made in Spain by Astra and sold under the Colt name. It is not a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket pistol. Considering that it is in a caliber that I do not stock, that I would never carry it, and a KelTec P32 whips it's tail anyway; for $350, someone else can buy it. Neil still had his Astra Constable as well. It seems more and more Nawlins pistols are popping up.

Over at Dave's shop, a Taurus Model 85 .38 special snubbie had been added to the line-up. Many people swear by Taurus as a maker of firearms, but for the price, I would just as soon buy a used Smith & Wesson.

A pocket gun is often the best way to pack heat in the humid Summers of Louisiana. For several years, as soon as the weather turned warm enough for shorts and sandals, my carry mode has switched from a IWB holstered 1911 to pocket carry with a J frame. Dave was wanting $189 for this revolver, and it will be an adequate pocket gun for somebody. With it's Uncle Mike's boot grips, it is ready to go.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit you've inspired me to do a round of pawn shops in the area. The owners were kinda snooty in one. When they asked, I told them I like pistols and historic rifles mostly. They said they don't deal in historice rifles, yet they had a Lee-Enfield. I guess that doesn't count. Their prices were about the same as gun shops, too. The stock was mostly low-end semi autos. The second shop was closing just as I got there, due to a family wedding. I thought I'd let you know you inspired me, though.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home