A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Critical Mass

Mike asked me a very salient question concerning my recent purchase of a Remington 870 for $70. "Do you have a point in your collection where you reach critical mass and must sell or trade off?"

Well, honestly, no. I have no set point where I will sell. I did make the decision that I would trade or swap to obtain a firearm that was more desirable, but I will not liquidate guns if my collection reaches a specified number.

Why did I buy a Remington 870 if my preference is first a Mossberg and then a Winchester? I prefer the control layout of the Mossberg pump shotguns. I prefer the upward position of the shell lifter on the Mossberg. The Mossberg has two extractor claws. Many other reasons to chose the Mossberg can be found here. The Winchester pump is a strong second choice for me because it just feels better than the rest. It comes to sights right for me. So why did I finally buy a Remington 870 that was priced at $70?

It is undeniable that the 870 is the most popular defensive pump shotgun. It is the overwhelming choice of law enforcement. It's steel receiver can take the punishment dished out in a police cruiser. There is a plethora of aftermarket accessories available for the 870. The Remmy gun is essentially a blank canvas that a customizer can use to build the tactical defense weapon of his dreams.

People often ask me for recommendations on which type of gun to buy. I, like most people, feel comfortable recommending what I am familiar with. I am not comfortable failing to recommend the Remington without having given it a chance. Thus, when I found one for $70, I bought it. I have long suspected that the Remington 870 was popular among police because of the steel receiver. The general public, I surmised, simply followed suit, as they usually do, when it comes to self defensive weaponry.

Thus I bought the $70 Remington 870 as a means of educating myself; to potentially solidify my preferences in shotguns; to justify my recommendations in shotguns; but most of all, to challenge my own conclusions with empirical evidence. For $70, that was a no brainer. I can always get $70 for it once it has served it's purpose for me.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Porta's Cat said...

I look at guns like that with a pretty open mind.

If you can't find an immediate market for it, it can do worse than sit somewhere with a few rounds of buckshot in it, in some place a nice "beater" shotgun would go if you just had one to go there.

I don't have a "critcal mass" either, but I will sell off firearms that either have lost their appeal, have been adequately replaced by a more recent acquisition, or have proved problematic (at least to me) in some respect.

As I said, IMO, you made a fine buy, and as you well know, could sell it today for the same 70 bucks about as quickly as you bought it, and should have no problem getting more for about as quick a sale should you get tired or disenchanted of it.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

I'll give you $70.00 for it when you want to get rid of it. Like you, I have always preferred Winchesters. However, the 870 is hard to beat as an all-purpose shotgun. I'd like to have just one more for my collection.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steel receiver? The others aren't steel? I don't understand, XB.
Cali

1:21 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Winchester and Mossberg use aluminum to for their receivers.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's steel receiver can take the punishment dished out in a police cruiser."

Yeah, like coffee stains and doughnut crumbs.

seroulsy, though, I (amere civilian) specfically choose steel for all my guns (handguns, longarms, etc) and the remy 870 was chosen for its steel reciever.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home