A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, June 30, 2006

A Nickel Model 10 Snub

A couple of days ago I had swung into Amber's old pawn shop, now managed by Kenny, and discovered a rather scarce Model 10. Kenny had this nickel Model 10-5 snubbie priced at $179. Unfortunately, it wore some horrendous grips but the finish had just enough wear to make it a gun to continue using.

Looking at the pinned barrel and the level of workmanship, I suspected the hillbilly grips covered a C or a D prefix on the serial number. When I got the revolver home and removed the Bubba wood, I was rewarded with a D prefix, and a probable seventies era date on the revolver.

I used some 0000 steel wool and BreakFree to polish up the nickel until it glistened like a new dime. Next, I took off the sideplate to inspect the lockwork. The revolver housed some hidden rust in it's interior, but a bit of elbow grease got rid of it. I then lightly oiled the lockwork with BreakFree, and placed a dab of Tetra grease on the sear.

Digging through my box of spare grips, I was pleased to find a set of Seventies era magna grips with no serial number stamped inside. They would be perfect. Only the rear corner of one grip had to be massaged to achieve a fit that rivaled a factory set of grips.

Months ago, I had purchased an absolutely pristine Model 10-5 snub in blue, that I have declined to carry. It is just to perfect. This nickel snubbie will give me a perfect K frame revolver for carry. It's a crying shame they don't make them like this any more!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is simply amazing what a simple thing like a change of grips can do. That gun looks beautiful now. I'm jealous.

I am, however, the proud owner of a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup National Match as of this afternoon. Which I only had to trade one gun for... ;)

So I can't complain much.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Pics Jay, pics!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Dan from Madison said...

That thing is gorgeous. I come here specifically to enjoy your photos and writing about the old Smiths, being an old Smith revolver fan myself. I own a 13-2 in 4" bbl, blue, made in 1978 and 17-3 K22 in 6" blue, made in 1969 (my favorite). I would love it if when you are describing things like hidden rust and how you get rid of it if you could take photos of these things as well. Thanks and I am glad you are still blogging after what you were going through a few weeks ago. Dan.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

Here's a pic from the gent I bought it from: Pic

I intend to put up something more detailed shortly... ;)

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

Here is a better picture...

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.

I own a 10-7 snubbie, that I bought several years ago and I love it.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home