A M1911A1 Copy
I had long wanted a real M1911A1, but with the prices they command, and the history they represent, I just could not justify buying a nice one to shoot. I resolved to make the new Springfield pistol a representation of a GI gun.
I began to search and scrounge for parts. I ordered a stamped GI trigger from Numrich. I found an arched and serrated mainspring housing with a lanyard loop on ebay, along with some double diamond walnut grips. I ordered some genuine GI grips from Simpson's Ltd, but I preferred the walnut. Next, I ordered a checkered slide stop and magazine catch from Brownells. The wide spur hammer and GI thumb safety came out of a box of take-off parts. I kept the Springfield grip safety. It is a bit bigger than a GI unit, but it effectively keeps the hammer from biting my hand. I slicked up the action, and purchased a couple of GI magazines at the next gun show.
After 600 rounds or so, the pistol began to have an occasional problem chambering the last round in a magazine. I replaced the recoil spring with a 18.5 pound Wolff spring, and the pistol has cycled fine ever since. My home brew GI pistol is not meant to fool people into thinking it is an actual GI gun. It is meant to simulate a pistol that is much like the guns carried into combat in the past century. Like those pistols, it is not a tack driver, but it does bring a smile to my face each time I shoot it. That's good enough for me.