A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, July 24, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Nickel Magnum

I went by Kenny's shop after work today, lo & behold, he had pulled out the nickel Smith he alluded to earlier this month. Kenny sauntered over to the gun counter as I walked in, and he pulled out the revolver. "You must think you've got something there." I said as I bellied up to the counter.

She was pretty. Kenny smiled and handed me a pinned and recessed Model 19-4 with a factory nickel finish. He had the gun tagged at $279. I removed the trigger lock and swung open the cylinder. It was unloaded. I tried the trigger. It was sweet. I began the Jim March Checkout as I did a quick calculation, and came up with $250 for this revolver. I figured the nice nickel finish was a benefit offset by the Pachmayer grips, which I dislike.

I offered Kenny two and a half. He looked dejected. I handed the revolver back to him, and then thought to myself......'You know Zave, if this was a nickel Model 10-6 you'd give $179 for it.' I looked at Kenny. I looked at the revolver. This was the Combat Magnum, designed by Bill Jordan. "Hell, here's $40," I said, "Let's put it on layaway."

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anytime they saunter to the counter the pistola always costs more. Dang it.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For that amount and without the damn, new, stupid locks, it's probably worth it.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...without the damn, new, stupid locks..."

Preach it Brother! Preach It!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading that write-up, I WANT a Model 19 in a baaad way...

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful, that's really awesome, great price to.
I see trashed 38spl S&W's all the time for $350-400, I'd love to see a beauty like that at a gun show:-)

2:25 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I've gotten a hankering for a model 19 lately, the look so much better than the stuff today. Around here that $279 would be a lot closer to $679 - yeh sucks to live here.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home