A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Rugged Rugers and Personal Protectors

After work today, I stopped in Dave's shop to see his wares. The Astra Constable was gone, but in it's spot rested a stainless Ruger GP100. Many people are fond of the Ruger revolvers. They seem to be rugged and accurate. I, myself, have never felt the appeal when there are so many nice used Smith's about. Dave had the GP100 priced at $329, and it was in great condition. I tried the trigger. Also in Dave's case was a Glock 17, a Walther P99 and a Taurus 24-7. Dave did not have any new Smith & Wesson revolvers. I thought about the round butt Model 10, but I decided my next Model 10 had to have at least two of three features (other than an outstanding price) to get me to buy. I am wanting a round butt, a three inch barrel, and a heavy barrel. Two of those three will interest me. One of those three plus an outstanding price will get me too.

I drove over to Neil's shop to find a lone Glock in the case, and several shotguns, Mossbergs and Remingtons marked down to $99 each. The shottys weren't pretty, but they were functional, and just the thing for a beater personal protector. I thought about purchasing another one for another Chief Warren Riley Kiss My Wet Cajun Ass gun, but I decided to just direct friends to Neil's door for the time being. It was kind of surprising to find 12 gauge shotguns this cheap at the beginning of hurricane season, but I suppose people's memories are short.

I did not have a chance to go by Kenny's pawn shop, maybe tomorrow I will.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Porta's Cat said...

I always have liked Ruger revolvers, and Ruger handguns, for that matter.

Never the prettiest or the sleekest, but always over-built for the job.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

It's probably been over two decades since I had a Ruger revolver. A stainless Speed Six as I recall. That memory goes back almost as far as my Model 39.

9:23 AM  
Blogger fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I just gave my GP-100 to my 32 year old son today - long over due. One of the finest pieces ever made - you can't hurt it!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home