The stag grips I had screwed to the pistol were cut for an ambi-safety, and would look bad without one. I began to make a list for Brownell's. I ordered one Ed Brown ambi-safety, a stainless steel wide spur hammer, and a flat mainspring housing. I already had a Dlask trigger in my parts box. The Dlask trigger has a magnesium shoe and titanium stirrup, and is fully adjustable. It normally sells for $45 or so, but I got this one for a steal on ebay. The lightweight trigger is only part of a trigger job though. I cut the hammer hooks to .020, and polished all the lockwork. I installed a Nowlin sear spring, and I placed a 19 pound spring into the flat mainspring housing.
The barrel that comes in the Springfield Mil-Spec and the GI45 is a two piece barrel made by Storm Lake. It is not a bad barrel, but my Springfield Mil-Spec benefitted greatly from a fitted bushing, so I installed an Ed Brown fitted bushing in the muzzle of the stainless GI45. By tightening the barrel in the slide, I hope for increased accuracy. Although the pistol was reliable, it's accuracy was pretty grim. If the bushing and trigger job do not improve the accuracy sufficiently, I may consider a Kart or BarSto barrel. I smoothed out the sandblasted rounds on the pistol using scotchbrite and 400 grit sandpaper. I am one of those people who prefer the feel of a smooth gun.
The resulting 1911 is reminescent of a bygone era, when custom 1911s were crafted, not bought. I can hardly wait to get to the range and try it out.