A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Victory!

I had that feeling when I walked into Dave's shop this morning. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's the feeling that I had better go check those shelves.
Today the instinct yeilded a very nice Victory Model Smith & Wesson in .38 Special.

This Victory Model lacked the US Property markings, and thus had been sold through the Defense Supply Commission, and was used stateside. It was in great shape. All the numbers matched, including the grips, and it retained it's original finish. The case hardening colors on the trigger and hammer were still bright. The action was smooth and tight. Chances are, it rested in the desk drawer of some manager type for years.

Dave did not have a tag on the gun yet, so I asked him how much he wanted. He retrieved his tattered Blue Book, and turned to his S&W tab. He asked "This is a Victory gun, right?" I said yes. Dave saw a range of prices in 95% condition spanning $200 to $400. He was a bit confused and did not want to ask anymore questions, but he knew what he gave for the gun. "How about $300?" he probed.

"That's fair." I replied, and I began to fill out the 4473. This was not the Victory Model that was at the estate sale. This wartime Smith & Wesson was in great shape with the original grips and lanyard ring.
The old revolver is in much better shape than my other Victory Model. This one still has the original parkerized finish, and it appears to be essentially unfired. It does have a turn ring and a bit of muzzle wear.

Unfortunately, I did not have time today to do much more than photograph the revolver. I'm looking forward to putting some lead down range with it soon.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

Nice catch!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home