A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, February 05, 2007

Future Collectible Handguns

I was asked today what I thought the collectible handguns of the future would be. This is really a speculatory question, with the unasked question being which guns do I expect to increase in market value.

First, remember that condition is king in gun collecting. Ruger MKIIsHere are my speculations:

Colt revolvers: No longer made, a rare snake when they were. All are escalating at this time, but especially the Pythons and Diamondbacks.

Blued and pinned S&W revolvers: These are also no longer made, and even the modern reproductions are far beneath the older guns in quality. The nickel brethern are collectible too.

Both of these are already collected, and are thus not the sleepers asked for though........In the sleeper category, I believe these will prove fruitful:

Ruger MKII auto pistols: These are great fun, accurate, reliable, and represent a nostalgic time for many people. They are the Ruger auto pistol zenith, and no longer made. Expect these to escalate just like the K-22 Outdoorsman did. Condition will be everything. High Standard auto pistols will be a close second, and perhaps the MKI as well.

Glocks: People collect weird stuff, and Glocks do have a following. I expect the first generation Glocks to become collectible. They are significant guns, and they remain shootable.

Sistema Colt 1911s: The supply has dried up, it's a genuine GI 1911, long ignored just as the M1911A1 was when it was plentiful.

S&W Victory Models: I expect these to reach M1911A1 prices, especially the US Property marked ones.

All imported C&R handguns: I expect there to finally be restrictions on importing handguns that effectively kills the C&R trade. Expect Walther P1s, Makarovs, Tokarevs, and a host of other interesting, good quality military surplus weapons to skyrocket.

The coming changes in our government's leadership will potentially bring about changes for gun owners. Many are already ordering Bushmasters as a hedge against another assault weapon ban. Some of the other trends I believe, are more predictable.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier, I read your blog almost daily. I've learned a lot from you.
I thinks it's interesting that you mention the Ruger MKII as this was my first gun. My father-in-law gave me a 6 inch bull barrel MKII that reads "GOVERNMENT TARGET MODEL" behind the ejection port. Do you you know anything about these?
jsarmstrong@gmail.com

8:31 PM  
Blogger Mattexian said...

Good thing there's a CZ-52 at the gun shoppe which I'm gonna get as soon as the tax refund hits. I've been wanting one for awhile, and noticed the prices sloooowwwly creeping upward. This'll be my first pistol purchase, I've already got a few milsurp rifles.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

It came on the KMK4 Lipsey's MKII. When I put a Volquartsen trigger in the KMK,the gold trigger went to this MKII for my daughter.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that a lot of people may NOT think so but the Beretta 92FS gets a big vote from me. It's probably one the the very most dispersed and widely used guns of all times.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welok62 Said I Think I Have A Rare One In A 1911A1 Form! I Have A Late Model Colt XS One Of 2000 Made. It Is A C.C.O.! I Dont Know Much About It.I Have Never Seen Another One,Except Online. It Has A Officers Grip With A Commander Slide.I Think The Blue Book Says It Is A XSE. I Think It Is A XS! Is There Anyone Out There That Knows About These ACPs

5:58 PM  
Blogger Not Available said...

Xavier, this gun is listed in an upcoming auction.

D.G.F.M. model 1927, 45 argentina auto, made by Colt machine, s/n 92165

Any idea what D.G.F.M. means? Any idea what price range this gun will fetch?

5:53 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Don, the actual abbreviation should read D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.). It means Direccion General de Fabricaciones Militares at the Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles. These are the Sistema Colt 1911s from Argentina. They are probably the best deal going in a real GI 1911. Those with no reblue are extremely uncommon on the market, and generally fetch $700-800 in good shape. Aresenal reblues are much more common, and bring about $400 nowadays. Recently Lipseys imported the last of them, and those were pretty well worn. They are selling for $250 or so.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a random thought today: The Beretta Mini Cougars...I think they'll become collectible in the future. I mean, when is the last time you even heard of one?

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home