A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, February 18, 2007

A New Gun Control Advocate

Who would have thought Jim Zumbo, Hunting Editor of Outdoor Life magazine would pen an anti-gun rant worthy of Sarah Brady or Rosie O'Donnell's blessing?

Assault Rifles For Hunters?
"As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods."


As long as you can keep your high powered bolt action sniper rifles you'll be happy, right Jimbo? You make me want to puke.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Stan said...

Unfortunately, he represents too many hunters who think their rights and rifles are so different.

3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ol' Zumbo is getting is @ss handed to him in the comments under his article.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does make me sad when people like us will stand up for ALL gun owners. Not just hand-gunners, self-defence people, or what have you.

While there are massive ranks of "Elmer Fudds" out there who feel that they are somthing special in the gun community.

And the liberal gun grabbers know this, so they pander to the hunters while they prepare them for the slaughter.....

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is true, it's just plain astounding. He sounds exactly like those snobbish shotgunners I've heard over the years who look down their noses at rifles with cosmetice features to make them LOOK like mil-spec guns.

15 years ago I could have possibly understood his ignorance, but not today. This guy needs to come in from the field from those sponsored hunts he makes his living from and do some reading and talking with real, average gun owners, not industry cronies. Was he asleep throughout the entire Clinton (mis)administration?

Here's where I'd advocate a boycott of all things Zumbo, and that might get his attention, but what I'd really like to see is not so much as a backlash against this dude as an education campaign by 2A groups. He obviously has no clue that defending the 2A unequivocally is not just the best hope, but the only hope for ALL gun owners.
DAL357

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is astounding but, in some ways, I'm not too terribly surprised. Country club shotgunners have been looking down their collective noses at rifles with cosmetic features to make them resemble mil-spec weapons for years.

Normally, I'd advocate a boycott of all things Zumbo here, but I'd rather see all of the 2A rights groups put their efforts into educating this misguided soul. He obviously hasn't a clue that the only hope for ALL gun owners is the unequivocal support of the 2A as an absolute, inviolable right.

If, after an intensive campaign of exposing Zumbo to the light of truth he still doesn't get it, boycott him into the stone age.

One thing I wonder about is if this will have any effect on him, as a hunting writer, getting to go on all of those sponsored (free?) hunts he makes his living from. If the education thing doesn't work, I advocate not using any of the outfitters he uses and letting said outfitters know why you won't be booking a hunt with them. And, of course, not buying any book or periodical his writing appears in (be sure you let the publisher know why you aren't buying their product).
DAL357

10:12 AM  
Blogger roninaz said...

I always find it disgusting how firearm hunters with bolt action rifles and indeed those with black power muzzle and breach loading weapons see a vast divide between their weapons and semi automatic rifles such as the AR series.

The muzzle loading rifle itself was the assault weapon in the 18th century up until it was replaced with breech loading weapons in the latter half of the 19th century.

The ever greater call for higher sustainable rates of fire lead to the bolt action single shot and later bolt action repeaters. Indeed even the lever action rifles frequently used for hunting were the assault weapons of their day.

Looking at the previous century the insurgencies and full scale wars were fought with bolt action rifles until the latter half of the last century.

Once a move is made on repeating arms of any type the anti gun crowd will be taking whatever aggressive action they can to eliminate bolt action and lever action repeating arms as sure as the sun rises in the East.

The useful idiot moniker fits the clown that wrote that article.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pointer, I would have canceled my subscription had it not already expired a couple months ago. .bp78

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revolting that a gunwriter and hunter turns his back on the rest of us gunowners.

Not only is he wrong, but a dangerous addition to the gun grabber flock. His reputation as a gunwriter will give his words strength and power to the anti-gunners.

Devide and conquer. Zumbo is helping to cleave our rights through his own stupidity and ignorance.

12:04 PM  
Blogger BobG said...

As a longtime hunter, I have to say he offends the hell out of me; personally I do most hunting with a '03A3 or a handgun, but see no reason to disparage those using autoloading firearms (my favorite rabbit gun is a 10/22). Zumbo might as well get a job with the Joyce Foundation with that kind of idiotic attitude. Just because some rifles are not his choice for hunting does not mean they should be banned.

1:19 PM  
Blogger geordie said...

Lol! I can't believe anyone who claims to live in the hunting and shooting world could be dumb enough to write that sort of piece. I think tired people tend to reveal more of what's going on in their mind, their cautious inhibitions are repressed.

So I guess he's retiring now, whether he wants to or not, it's not like he can turn up anywhere without being viewed as a Judas.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zumbo.
That gun you're holding is Black, Looks extremly dangerous to me. Looks like an "assault weapon".
I saw a "Black" one just the other day.
Leave the range, NOW.

You win the " Major Tool" award.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home