A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, March 26, 2007

The S&W Model 10

The Model 10. Even it's name is humble, the lowest numerical designation in Smith & Wesson's vast array of revolvers. The S&W Model 10, however, is often a glimmer of gold among a gun shelf of pyrite. The Model 10 can trace it's roots back to 1899 with Smith & Wesson's introduction of the first hand ejector on a K frame. Click to enlargeIn the first few years, the lockwork was changed several times, until the Model of 1905 4th change was arrived at. Variations of butt silhouette and barrel length were offered, as was caliber.

The Model of 1905 4th change, or the M&P, remained essentially unchanged until after World War II, when a short throw hammer was introduced. Minor changes, such as a new front sight, fewer screws in the sideplate, and rubber grips were to follow. For decades, it was the sidearm of choice for law enforcement. It is the ubiquitous revolver. Today, S&W still sells the Model 10, and it is not that much different from the Model 10's of old.

Because of the large number of Model 10s produced over the years, they can still be purchased used for a very reasonable sum, often in like new condition. Recently, I have noticed a decline in the numbers of Model 10s I see for sale locally. For years I purchased them for $150-$175. I am having to adjust my mental market value to $200 and above now, if I still want to buy Model 10s. That is fine by me too. The Model 10 is worth that, and it always was. In fact, it is worth more. It is ultra reliable, fires a defensive caliber, is accurate, and fun to shoot. That's a combination often absent in guns that cost hundreds more.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them too.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you don't mind me asking, what is the brand and model of the holster pictured with the two Model 10's?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Paul,
It's a genuine Smith & Wesson leather police holster, B36 25 W.

At least that's what it says on the reverse. It has the S&W circular logo embossed into the leather. The upper part that carries the cartridges pivots on a heavy chrome steel rivet, but can be held in place with a snap. It's one of my nicer service holsters.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just today (July 26th) I was at one of our local Arizona swap meets and had my FIE .380 automatic new in the box for sale , when an individual walked up to me wearing a slightly worn Smith & Wesson model 10-5 in a holster asked me if I would like to trade guns ! I traded him my FIE for his S&W as I have always had a weakness for quality guns and S&W's have always been my favorite guns ! Tomorrow I'll give my S&W a try on the range to see how accurate it is .

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first pistol was a S&W Model 10. Saw my first one in Viet Nam. I was able to shoot 4 in. groups at 100 yards with it. I am now looking for another one. Wore my first one out target shooting. Best pistol I have ever owned.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Don Kimball Jr said...

Smith makes the best guns..... I own alot of revolvers.... Love them.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home