A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cooling.......

One of the little known facts about me is that I run saltwater aquariums. In my home, 675 gallons of brine, fish, coral and critters circulate in four glass cages. I actually got into the hobby about five years ago when my little girl wanted a Nemo. I ran a coral reef, a trigger tank, and a venomous tank as well as a crunchy critter tank. If you want to enjoy all kinds of sea life, you have to keep them separate.

I now have my air conditioning working again, but alas, many of the sea creatures did not survive. Although I kept the water circulating, and fans blowing across the top of the water, All but three two fish died. All the coral is gone. I'm in the midst of saving what I can, but I do not think I will invest so heavily in the hobby again. Perhaps I will acquire a Clown Trigger for one tank, and maybe a humuhumunukunukuapua, pronounced humu-humu-nuku-nuku-apu-a'-a, AKA a Picasso Trigger for the other. No more coral. Nemo did survive.

The house is steadily cooling again.....

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger B.S. philosopher said...

Have you ever considered buying a sump mounted chiller for your tanks with invertebrates? They're expensive, but so is losing several hundred pounds of live rock and corals.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

True BSP,
Even less expensive though is repopulating the bacteria for fish and never doing a coral reef again.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had a much smaller scale reef tank and changed it over to a fish only because of a similar incident. Saltwater tanks are work, but they're absolutely amazing to just sit and watch.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss..

I too once had a nice coral tank with some passive tangs and a few clowns. I remember the day that the power went out in the summer, and most of the fishes died. Surprisingly the corals did OK, I sold it all off and made some of my money back. I do not miss water changes. I did keep my RO unit, makes great drinking water.

ASW

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I've always thought saltwater makes even the most demanding freshwater setups look like child's play.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home