A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The SW1911

I am a Colt fan when it comes to old slabsides. I suppose that will not change anytime soon. Over the past year, however, I have had the occasion to buy and shoot the SW1911 in several permutations. Click to enlargeI originally bought into the gun as trade fodder to feed my Colt addiction. In the past year I have come to a conclusion.

The fellows in Springfield make a pistol that the fellows in Hartford should take a look at. The SW1911 is not the perfect 1911 pattern pistol, but it's a damned good one. Yes, it has an external extractor. Yes, it has a firing pin safety. Both of them work 100% too, so who cares? The pistol does contain MIM small parts, but they are good MIM parts, not cheap stuff. Metal injection molded small parts are here to stay in affordable firearms. If the manufacturing process is done right, the parts are durable. The SW1911 pistols do have some fitting issues, mainly on the grip tangs and the beavertail, but then, they are a mass produced product. I have addressed these issues, and discussed the modifications I made to the guns in the range reports linked below.

Over the past year, I have shot these pistols.......a lot. I have ridden them hard and sometimes put them away dirty and wet. I have put God knows how much lead down range in them. They have never failed to shoot, blasting a hole right where I pointed them (if not where I wanted to put a hole) every time I pulled the trigger. No failures. None.

If a shooter is wanting a moderately priced 1911 pattern pistol with the whizbang gee gaws attached from the factory, I heartily recommend the SW1911.

SW1911PD Range Report

SW1911 Target Range Report

SW1911 Range Report

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Cliff_1911A1 said...

Xavier, these are beautiful examples of a 1911A1... but I can't get past those "wheel guns" that have Smith & Wesson's name on 'em... just too hung up right there to believe I'll ever own one of their 1911A1 pistols.

8:47 PM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

http://tinyurl.com/2m3wfs
hey it's a M&P model ten cheap
looks useable.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav,
You and Jay (from MArooned) should talk, compare notes. I've shot his mfg'd in 1917 model 1911. It's a true piece of history . . . and a peach.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav, what is "MIM"

Keith

4:43 AM  
Blogger Jay G said...

I've also got a series 80 Colt Gold Cup National Match.

And I'm hoping to pick up one of the Commander-sized scandium SW1911s for a carry piece in the indeterminant future...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Link added Keith.......

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Errr - wow! the discussion page on the link is really good too
Thanks
Keith

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay G:

You will love the Commander-sized 1911PD; I've got the Gunsite version and it's really nice. Just two issues: the Novak rear sight shed its set screw and slid partially out of the dovetail during a two-day defensive shooting course (700 rounds) and the grip safety no longer stops the trigger from being depressed. Oh, well, I did buy the gun used!

Mike Harbour

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a definitely a 1911 fan, and have shot the S&W 1911 on multiple occasions, but I would NEVER buy one. Why choose to buy a gun from a company that makes incredibly poor handguns (SIGMA SERIES)in addition to higher end guns when there are companies like Kimber and Para Ordnance that ONLY produce 1911s?

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because the SW1911 is a superior pistol to the Kimber and Paraordnance. Would you buy a Rock Island Armory because the only make 1911s? Sheeesh.......

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Commander type Scandium fro S&W and love it! I have shot close to a thousand rounds out of it and not one problem. Not to mention it is a dream to carry all day, given it's weight. I have owned several Colts, about 5 to 6 Springfields and several Kimbers and loved them all, but the S&W is just "different" and I can't really put my finger on it, but I love the gun. I have owned three Paras, too and found them ALL to be JUNK right out of the boxs and one dealer told me, when I went to sell it, that he does not sell thema dn won't buy them, either. As you can see I do have bought, used and sold many 1911s in the past 30 years, but I just can't part with my S&W Sandium frame 1911, Commander! I am currently in the Philippines and wish I had it with me.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want more bang for your buck check out the Dan Wesson "Patriot" series of 1911's! They are loaded with many features found on more expensive 1911's. I bought mine when they first came out - and basically purchased a "Colt Gold Cup" for $650! It is well made, well fitted and is very accurate and dependable!

Dan

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier, I have one of the early S&W Custom Shop-built 1911s with the Briley barrel and it is the best 1911 I have ever owned.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home