A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tank Additions

Hermit crabs are almost essential to a saltwater tank, consuming many kinds of algae, including red slime (cyanobacteria). Blue Knee Hermit (Clibanarius tricolor)They sift the substrate as they hunt for food. Along with algae carrion and slime, hermit crabs eat detrius, or in other words, fish poop. I keep an abundant number in my Reef non-aggressive tank. Unfortunately, I cannot keep hermits in the Trigger Tank. Triggers think of hermits as hors d'oeuvres. Large hermits think of small fish as prey. Today I placed twenty more dwarf Blue Knee Hermits, (Clibanarius tricolor)in to the non-aggressive tank. They are entertaining to watch as they fight over preferred shells.

FWIW, the Niger Trigger I placed in the non-aggressive tank is getting alone fine with the Coral Banded Shrimp.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger breda said...

when they say blue-kneed, they aren't kidding! Very cool!

9:15 PM  
Blogger freddyboomboom said...

This is cool info.

Thank you for these glimpses into another world.

I've never seen the fascination with keeping fish tanks, but I do like to watch them when I get the chance.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love hermit crabs! I used to have a saltwater setup, and they were some of the most entertaining inhabitants!
Cleaner Shrimp are also very fun...

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home