A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Heckler & Koch P7 PSP

Back in 2004 an opportunity arose to order a HK P7 PSP (Polizei Selbstlade Pistole) recently released from the German police. The pistols were $645, complete with all brushes, tools and a plastic case. Extra magazines were around $15. I placed an order. Soon afterwards, a squeezecocker arrived at my FFL just for me.

I am not an HK fanboy, although I do still own the P7, and a couple more HK pistols. The Squeezecocker HK's are to some shooters like a streetlight is to a moth.Click to enlarge The striker fired pistol is made like a Swiss watch, and it is durable. There is no other pistol quite like the HK P7. It is an uniquely safe pistol, requiring the front of the grip to be firmly depressed before it can fire. One depressed, a very sweet trigger is engaged. The pistol is very slim, and it's fixed polygonal barrel makes it inherently accurate. It points very well, and has simple effective, easy to acquire sights.

The basis of the P7 design is a gas delayed blowback system. Gas pressure from cartridge ignition is routed through a small vent in the barrel directly forward of the fluted chamber. Recoil of the slide is controlled by the gases acting on a piston underneath the barrel. Once the bullet has exited the muzzle, the gas pressure is released behind it, and the slide can enter the recoil cycle.

At one time I carried my P7 PSP. The pistol carried very well. The only reason I stopped carrying it was I decided to go with the .45 ACP as a defense cartridge. The P7 is a 9mm gun. The P7 PSP has an eight round single stack magazine and a heel release. If I had won an ebay auction of a black alligator skin holster for it, I might still carry it on special occasions. I keep it in my accumulation because it is an unusual pistol to share with others, the ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and it is a great pistol for carry. There are other variants with different chamberings, some with a double stack magazine, and a magazine release behind the trigger, but I like the simplicity of the PSP.



The Cult of the P7

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a P7, or one of its double-stack derivatives, is pretty high on my "things to buy if i ever win the lottery" list. unfortunately, the way HK fanboys are driving up prices, it seems i shall have to start playing the lottery if i ever really want one.

7:26 AM  
Blogger shooter said...

I've had the luxury to pop a few off on a P7. Those squeeze cockers are a bit of alright fun if you ask me.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

how long will it take for someone to mention Hans Gruber? :-)

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The P7 has to be one of the coolest pistols ever made. Holding one is like wrapping your arms around your girlfriend's waist. It feels so right...

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy New year Xav. I have enjoyed reading your Blog.

11:10 PM  
Blogger miss allot said...

the p7 psp is in my opinion the best of all p7's.i love heal release mags,plus the xl "horns" on the p7 m8 release the mag often.the p7 m13 is too big for a9.all in all the p7 is a great "chic-gun."

1:25 AM  
Anonymous bill said...

I absolutely love my P7 PSP.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home