A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Black Devil

I went to the hospital early this morning to knock out the last two elective cases on the calendar. All other elective cases are on standby, emergent stuff only. There are three official evacuation shelters in my area, and they were filling up at six this morning. By the time I stripped off my surgical scrubs around 11:00, they were all full to overflowing, and people were feigning heart problems and other assorted ailments so they could get themselves and their families into the hospital. This is one time I am thankful I do not work emergency anymore*.

Once home, I began to take inventory of all the items my wife had purchased the past couple of days. Fifteen days worth of toilet paper.....Check. Beaucoup canned goods..........Check. Cigars.........Check. Distilled water to keep the saltwater tanks at a correct salinity for the fishies........Check.

Getting a generator at this late date is a lost cause. Instead, I am going to rely on minnow bucket aerators to keep the tanks going if need be. The neighborhood is full of live oaks that shed limbs on power lines without discrimination. If we lose power though, I don't expect it to last more than a day or two. Judicious use of battery power will more than cover the fish, I believe. Food, water, toilet paper, a crank 'em up radio, buckshot, and a good charge on the cell phone, and I should be good.

Of greater concern is the additional people who are out and about. Last night, as my wife slept and as I was publishing the "Locking and Loading" piece, Ilsa was asleep at my feet. Suddenly she perked up, jerked up, and sauntered to the front of the house with a purpose. That's not unusual, really, she usually inspects things and comes back to snooze some more.

This time was different. I heard her snort at the front door, and suddenly start barking with determination. I placed the nearest loaded gun at hand, a nickel Model 10 snubbie into my pocket and went to see what was the matter.

Ilsa was not giving up. I placed her leather quick leash over her head and without turning on the porch light, I took a look through the peephole. Nothing. Ilsa was insistent, still barking, and snarling gutteral growls.

I quickly opened the front door and Ilsa lunged forward on the leash, white teeth flashing and barking into the darkness. Two dark figures bolted away from my wife's car, shouting "Diablo! Diablo!" In a flurry of feet they were down the street, without looking back. Ilsa strained at her leash, standing up on her hind legs to get at them. To calm her down, I took her around to the areas where they had been, and let her urinate on all the spots she wanted. My wife's car was still secured. After that, the night was quiet.

*Scratch that....... In the middle of typing this post, I got called back to the hospital because of some jughead in the convention center.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read with interest in your previous post about your new laws which will hopefully prevent the theft of guns by diktat of local officials. Is there any feeling that the new laws will be obeyed to a greater extent during Gustav than the 2nd Amendment was respected during Katrina? Or are the new laws a political sop which can be overruled by use of emergency powers available to local politicians?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Not Too Pensive said...

As someone who has been through a few 'canes himself, I say good luck, godspeed, and may your ammunition stores not be depleted by even a single round.

God bless, and stay safe!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Bryn,
We shall see how effective the new laws are. They should not be over ruled.

One issue is who is brought in from out of state to assist. I note with interest that Gov. Jindal has not invited the California Highway Patrol back.

FWIW Jindal is a very pro-gun governor. I do not expect the 2nd amendment to be infringed again, at least not on his watch.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where on your blog can we see a photo of your nickeled Model 10 snubby?

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a happier note, well done Ilsa!
Our GSD Max (R.I.P.) could be an useful deterrent (130lbs, 34" at the shoulder) when he was awake, but usually had to be woken up by our resident yapper Ebony (German Spitz, 6lbs when wet, careful with that vacuum cleaner there please, ooops...!).
Max could do the ferocious guard dog part very well when needed, but needed a very good reason to abandon his beanbag-bed... he was a very laid-back & gentle family pet.
Please stay safe & well, and watch your back wherever you are (Redundant advice, I'm certain!)
Good luck & best wishes.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Here ya go anon......

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

It's a shame that the weather has not really even hit yet, and the vultures are already out. Hopefully, this is worse that will happen for you. I was on a D-MAT team in the US Virgin Islands after Hurricane Mary, and have a better than average idea of what a hurricane can do to an area. Best of luck to you and your family.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier, how far are you from the coast? I don't have a general sense of where you're at, but I figure you're not in New Orleans proper.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Mattexian said...

I'm over in Beaumont, Tx, and gonna wait it out too. My last minute buys yesterday looked more like camping supplies, like TP and paper towels and charcoal, plus a stop by Academy for more shot shells and a hunting vest. I'm glad I already got my shotgun (a Maverick 88 Security) a couple of weeks ago, so as to not appear too paranoid before the storm. May we all get thru this without any losses, of property, life, or ammo! ;)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Arthur said...

A 40 rounder for the AK?

I've actually just picked up a couple of 20's for mine as even the 30's can be a little unwieldy inside the house.

+1 for Ilsa.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the... That is bizarre.

Hope you and your family make it through okay.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so it begins...

-Daniel

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

methinks she was wanting to eat mexican food last night

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opportunity knocked.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Good girl, Ilsa!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Robert Langham said...

Good dog.

That's a tremendous gear photo. Calendar-level.

Best wishes for the nesxt week.

9:42 AM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Best of luck in the coming days. Keep your powder dry...

9:56 AM  
Blogger Medic2RN said...

X,

Big steak to Ilsa.

Be good, be safe,

Medic2RN

1:36 PM  
Blogger nature223 said...

and for our spanish speaking friends.."precaución, el perro negro que odia los ladrones no invitados. ella puede búsqueda y va a tratar de encontrar comer te deliciosas , gracias y adiós"
english;
"caution,the black dog hates uninvited theives,it can will chase and find you delicious,thank you and good bye"

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pic of the Winchester Defender. I prefer a Maverick 88, but, nothing wrong at all with rotating bolt Winchester.

That green monster reminds me, I need to clean out my Coleman 425B and put a new burner in it before deer season. (was pretty much shot last year)

I never used Estate SWAT shells. Always preferred to use Remington Low Recoil stuff.

Hope you don't have to use any of it outside the range or practice field.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing is, they probably would have doubted you would use the revolver, forcing you to use it. They did not doubt a German Shepherd's teeth or her conviction.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home