A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: Ruger MKII 50th Anniversary

A year and a half ago, I was considering purchasing a Ruger 50th Anniversary MKII at a local pawn shop. I passed on the pistol each time due to a price that I thought was a bit too high considering the pistol's condition. Click to enlargeAt $175, it sold to someone else. I continually kicked myself each time I thought about it.

That was the history as I entered the Spotted Dog gun and outdoor gear emporium. As usual, I walked past the hunting gear and straight down the glass cases full of handguns. When a salesman asked if he could assist me, I had already determined there were no used Colt 1911s available.

"That Ruger, can I have a look at it?" I pointed. He opened the case and removed a blue 4 inch MKII with the 50th Anniversary crest on the receiver. While not a perfect reproduction of the Ruger Standard by any means, minor design details such as he lack of scallops on the rear of the receiver caught my eye. The plastic red eagle grips suffered from battered checkering. The pistol did have good bluing, and no rust though.

I turned over the tag to take a look. $249. Damn. Just a few years ago, the four inch taper barreled Ruger MKII sold for that new. "Those are fine pistols," related the salesman. "And that one is a special 50th Anniversary model. Limited edition."

"I see." I tried to look skeptical. "Do you have the box?"

"Let me check," he replied and he disappeared into a back room. Moments later, he emerged with the bad news. No box. I gave a disappointed look. "I tell you what, I'll cut you a deal........." he ventured.

"Spare magazine? I inquired.

"No, but I'll let you have it for $219."

"What is the tax here?"

"Two twenty out the door," the salesman countered.

I did some quick mental math. I pulled out my wallet. I took the pistol home.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pick up. A solid ruger.

I have one as well from a local store i got last year. shot it twice and its a keeper.

I do prefer the mkIII with a trigger/hammer kit... mag release is in the right pace as far as i am concerned. ;)

8:05 PM  
Blogger nature223 said...

Xav..your the reason I just scarfed up a FISHING GUN just like yours,ok and this site helped me go RUGER MKII as well.
http://www.sererescuesog.addr.com/USRSOG-Firearm.htm
only way I departed was to go with blued finish versus stainless,and your FISHING GUN,looked EXACTLY what was required to fill the need,functions perfectly with everything from hypervelocity CCI STINGERS to Remington standards..it was a bear to get apart,the gun was pretty much spotless inside and the former user/owner obviously never shot it.
thanks for the excellent tip for a great light weight companion,to hang on my belt...cant wait till I hang the scope on board for some real varmint twanging.

11:54 PM  
Blogger James R. Rummel said...

Lucky!

James

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be a jerk, but it really takes away the joy when you repeatedly use "to" when you mean "too". Just remember... if you mean something is "too much", use t-o-o. If you mean "to school" or "to work", it's t-o. Thank you. It upsets me when I read something stoopud!

3:35 AM  
Blogger Bgg said...

Atta Guy Xavier - well done sir!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Nice lookin' gun 223! I hope it serves you well.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

You're not a jerk anon...... I can use all the proofreading I can get!

To & too are two of my bugaboos. I'm not seeing the error in this blog post though....

Here's a few extra os for you to scatter when needed. ooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooo
ooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooo

8:38 AM  
Blogger Old NFO said...

Nice buy and a solid pistol! Congrats!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav,
Sorry! I should have referred to the sentence in question. It is the second sentence. "to high".
Should be "too high".
Thanks for the extra O's. Those will last me for a while.
Fair winds and following seas, Matey! USN 71-75.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Forest...... Trees...... At your service sir!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice find. Once I read your post I had to have one too. Found one LNIB on Gunbroker, seller said he was the original owner, put a couple of mags through it, wrapped it, and put it away; said he was selling it now due to a divorce. Minimum bid was $225, so I bid the minimum. Ended up getting it. Add $25 for shipping, and $20 for Dave at the pawnshop, and I've got $270 in it, With the box, a couple of mags, lock, etc. I'm really happy with it, reminds me of the Mk1 I sold 25 years ago and regretted selling ever since. BTW, Numrich has replacement 50th anniversary grips.

11:26 AM  
Blogger jaegan said...

Your posts on Rugers had a lot to do with my finally picking up a 50th anniversary MkII this morning at a local gun shop. Been looking at it for about a month. I didn't get as good a deal as you did ($306 otd, no box or extras) but I still feel okay about it. put a couple magazines through it and I love the way it shoots.

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home