A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Two Twenty-Twos

After work today, I took two 22 handguns, a Ruger MKII and a Smith & Wesson Model 17 to the range for a little relaxing plinking and stress relief. The Ruger seemed to be shooting consistently a little to the right, and when I looked over the pistol, I found that the fixed sight was indeed a bit off. Click to enlargeI had placed an Allen wrench set in my range bag after my last trip, but I did not have a brass punch and hammer. I made a mental note to knock the sight back into alignment when I got home.

Often I will be asked which is more accurate, a revolver or a pistol. The truth is, when the barrel of a pistol is fixed, as with the MKII, the accuracy is often more than the individual shooter can live up to in either gun. Even a person who practices diligently with their handgun of choice seldom out shoots the potential of a quality barrel.

There are just too many factors involved in offhand pistol shooting that affect each shot. The shooter who has their basics aligned with each and every pull of the trigger is a rare shooter. Click to enlargeIt is the consistent application of the basics of sight alignment and trigger pull that make for accurate marksmanship.

The value of the accurate 22 caliber handgun is that it allows the shooter to repeatedly shoot for very little expense. The constant reinforcing of the basics on a real gun with undeniable holes in the target providing instant feedback builds marksmanship quickly. That is why I advise people to start with a 22 caliber handgun, and also why so many people who own a 22 caliber handgun never let go of it. They are one of the best investments in shooting a person can make, for fun, relaxation and proficiency.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! Not letting go of my first .22 has been no surprise to me. It's because they tend to multiply that caught me off gaurd.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOHOO! Just picked up my brand new (to me) Model 17 from my FFL. Mfg. date 1955, and she's absolutely gorgeous! I cleaned her out good and am excited to be able to afford to shoot again, and on a DA S&W to boot (my carry is a 3" Model 60 .357).

I tried shooting my dad's teeny little Sterling .22 at the range last night. It jammed on 80% of the shots. I know they need to be kept super clean, but who wants to stop and scrub out their pistol every 10 rounds? POS.

10:29 AM  
Blogger detroitccw said...

Don't shoot me, but a pistol is either a revolver or a semi-automatic. [ducking] All "nits" aside, a cool article. I actually own a .22LR Taurus Model 94 revolver that I love shooting for fun at the range. I bought it because I wanted an inexpensive revolver to show my students what they looked like.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Hi Rick, I use the term pistol in opposition to "auto" or semi-automatic" simply because it is easier to say and people know what I mean. I actually prefer "auto-loader" but that sounds like construction equipment.

When you think about it, a revolver is a semi-automatic too, as it automatically rotates the cylinder to bring up the next round.

4:17 PM  
Blogger midnight rider said...

I have a Ruger Mark III and S&W k-22 from about 1952. Both ae fun to shoot. Also a Ruger Bearcat that my 10 year old thinks is hers.

In addition to the accuracy skills a .22 allows you to either not "learn" to anticipate recoil and noise or help unlearn it if you have.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Through the kindness of my late Uncle John I have a Colt Woodsman, ca. 1929 and a High Standard H-D Military ca. 1941. Use standard velocity ammo and they'll say on target as long as I do my part. Good .22s are better for mental health than any drugs.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home