A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Opteka Wireless Remote

Late last week I received my Opteka radio controlled shutter release in the mail. I actually purchased mine off ebay for $49.95 including shipping. Over the past week, I have been trying it out.

The Opteka release uses a CR2 lithium battery in the receiver. A watch type battery powers the transmitter. Click to enlargeIt has 16 different channels that can be utilized. The unit uses dip switches to change channels if needed.

The Opteka remote both focuses the lens with the camera's auto-focus system, and then releases the shutter. If the camera is set to take multiple exposures, simply hold down the remote button as you would the shutter release on the camera.

I have not tested the long range ability of the Opteka remote. The manufacturer claims a 100 meter range, but frankly, 10 meter range is all I need. One interesting bit of information is that the remote will fire the shutter through glass, through cardboard, and also from within your pants pocket with the camera slung over your shoulder.

Construction of the Opteka remote is generally OK. The housing is polystyrene plastic, with a matte finish. The cord is reasonably heavy, and the plug fits the camera well. There is no need to screw the plug into the camera, but a threaded coupler is on the cord if desired. I placed a bit of velcro on my camera, tripod and the receiver to hold it in place.

When I first bought the radio controlled remote, I almost choked on the fifty bucks it cost. I can say I am pleased with the purchase though. It works well for portraiture, candids, street photography, macro photography, and of course, it saves beaucoup time on self portraits. Like the S&W Model 17, it's a purchase I do not regret.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think of the 45mm GN lens?

Andy

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a pancake lens in years!

J.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Andy,
It is easily my favorite manual lens now. I prefer it for candids and street photography. Put it on F16 or f22, focus it at three feet, and you can easily shoot from the hip.

In fact, it's the manual lens that is always with me. auto-focus isn't always appropriate, and sometimes it's just too damned slow.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous 2yellowdogs said...

Xavier,
I owned the latest version of Nikon's pancake lens, the 45mm f2.8P with a FM3a. I just loved the lens's size and sharpness. The body and lens combination was pocketable, hardly any bigger than a Leica M6 at the time and a great street-shooting combo.

I've been thinking about buying the remote trigger you have for wedding balcony shots. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with it. I've purchased a number of the cheap eBay flash triggers and they work very well, especially for the price.

DZ

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured you would like it. Used the flash with it yet?

10:07 PM  
Blogger Beatriz Carvalho said...

Hello, I just bought a wireless shutter from opteka to use in my Canon Rebel Xsi camera. As I don't know how to use it, I think I doing something wrong because the shutter is not working...maybe you can help me? I did everything that the manual sad:with the camera off, I plugged the remote cord, turned the camera and the receiver on. Then I put the receiver and the remote control in the same channel. Then I pressed the button on the remote control, pointing to the receiver and both lights turned on. Then, I changed the mode in the camera, to the remote control. But It is not working, when I press the button, the camera doesn't take the picture, only makes a little bit sometimes...there's something else you advise me to do? It's a problem with the shutter?
Thank you,
Beatriz.

4:17 PM  
Blogger DZ said...

Hello, I bought this same remote a while back and it works on and off for me. Basically what happens with Beatriz happens with me. Also I was wondering how to change the channels. I see numbers at the top, but plastic is blocking what I think are the switches. Can you please help me out? Thank you very much,
~Diana

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home