A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Marlin 99M1 Range Report

The Marlin Model 99M1 is a short carbine with the same tubular magazine and action as the Marlin 99 and 99U. The main difference is the 99M1 has a wooden hand guard and an 18-inch barrel to make it look more like a US military M1 Carbine. Marlin introduced the 99M1 in 1964, in hopes that the resemblance to the US M1 carbine would appeal to the thousands of WW II veterans who had trained with and carried into combat the larger caliber US M1. The 99M1 was a success and over 160,000 were sold before production was discontinued in 1978.

I acquired my Marlin 99M1 from a pawnshop. It had a $79 price tag, but I traded another .22 rifle for it. I spent an hour or so that night disassembling it, and cleaning years of grey gloop out of the action. The only redeeming value of that gloop is it may have helped hone the action. That night, I noted that Simpson Ltd. was selling a Marlin 99M1 for $250. If mine shot, I got a deal.

When disassembling a Marlin 60 or 99 action, the trigger group itself should never be taken apart unless it contains a broken part. Probably due to it's era of manufacture, my 99M1 had screws holding the trigger group in place instead of plastic pins. I cleaned everything with Gumout carburetor cleaner (I had it handy and it works) lubricated it with Breakfree a bit, inspected it, and reassembled everything.

I took my Marlin 99M1 to the range for a first shoot today. It came from the pawnshop with a Simmons 3-9X40 scope. The furniture of the upper handguard had to be massaged a little to accept this objective, but the job was very well done, almost imperceptible. The scope mounted on a rail molded into the Marlin reciever. If I like the rifle, I might smooth things out to accept a Weaver style rail.

The first nice surprise about the 99M1 was the trigger. I was expecing the mushy creepy trigger of a Model 60, but this one was better. It had some creep, but not nearly as much mush. I have to wonder if the plastic pins holding the Model 60 trigger group versus the metal screws holding this 99M1's trigger group makes the difference in feel.

The Marlin is accurate. I expected that. At 25 yards on sandbags, it shot half inch to 3/4 inch groups consistently, with cheap Federal bulk pack ammo. My 99M1 lost it's iron sights sometime in it's past. Numrich has the front sight for $17. I understand the rear peep sight assembly is next to impossible to find. I suppose my rifle will always have a scope.

I did have several failures to eject, one every 50 or so rounds. As I continued to shoot, the problem exacerbated. That is unacceptable in my opinion. I will tear the rifle down again to see if I can diagnose the cause. The inner magazine tube wanted to stick while sliding it back into the outer tube after loading. I will address that issue as well.

Overall, I am very happy with this little shooter. It is very accurate for a .22 rifle with a stock chamber. Once the ejection issues are cleared up, I am certain it will become one of my favorite shooters. Maybe I can find a proper WWII era sling at the upcoming gunshow.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you get those targets?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! Thats a great photo at the top! Did you take it?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I did.Thank you.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got one also. My gun ejects every time but fails to recock the firing pin spring at a rate of 2 in 10 once I've put 20 to 30 rounds through it. Bought mine for $120 at a gun show a few years back. Nice little shooter!

Man with three cats

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I resolved the issue of the firing not cocking on the reload cycle. Don't use standard velocity ammunition. Always use the high velocity type such as CCI.

Man with three cats

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to the ejection problem. I have a Marlin Model 60 and a Model 99m1. They both have the ejection problem. I have found that using "hyper velocity" ammo reduces or eliminates the problem. It appears that certain ammo just doesn't have the punch to blow the bolt back far enough.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have one too, with the sling and the iron sight. shoots great everthing from the cheap stuff right on up. i use a synthetic oil to lube it and i feel that helps. got mine as a gift from a friend

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got mine for my uncle that bought it new, great shooter. I have had the same problem with it not ejecting, and used the gun oil that marlin put out with their cleaning kit ( at least it has the marlin name all over it). then switched to the synthetic oil to.

Great sight. Did you ever get the weaver to fit it? I have been thinking about setting mine up for a scope, any recommendations?

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was left mine from my grandfather. You have to use high velocity ammo in order to get rid of the ejection problem. I shoot high velocity 22 shorts and it works just fine.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I GOT ONE THAT WONT FEED THE ROUNDS INTO THE CHAMBER,HOW CAN I FIX THIS?CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT BOLT FOR IT?WILL A MODEL 60 INTERCHANGE?FOR GOD'S SAKE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recieved a new and improved feed throat. This will cure all my loading problem unless my bolt is worn out. The old feedthroat is obsolete. there is now a new and improved on.25$. in any case all parts are cheap! numrich corporation. www.e-gunparts.com.....Get your schematics for 99 cents. Happy shooting.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 99m1 that I've had since childhood (a couple of years ago)I removed the trigger assembly and action from the stock to de-gunk it.Now,the trigger does not engage the spring loaded plate that releases the firing pin.Did I lose a part? or fail to align something?

6:46 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I don't know. The Marlin trigger group is pretty simple, but the action is complex. Without looking, it's impossible to say. I recommend you take it to a gunsmith.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a 99M1 from my uncle and I have never shot it. Seems to be in great shape but it has been refinished. Looks great. Serial # is 72XXXXXXX. Question, did it hurt the value of the gun by refinishing it. Thanks!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Anon, I think you will be OK. Hurt the value? Yeah a bit.

However, it's not like it's a collector's gun, although it is neat. On a $2000 gun, a refinish can make it a $500 gun. On a $250 gun, a refinish deducts much less.

Shoot it and enjoy it. All too often we worry about these things so much that we do not enjoy the guns we own.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a 99m1 that my late grandfather gave me. i lost my tube one day while hunting squirrel. any ideas where i can get one? ive also had the ejecting problems, soon as i get a tube ima try cci's or some high velocity shells. your site helps alot

9:46 PM  
Anonymous JAMESJEFF44 said...

Great evaluation of the 99m1. I just scored an old rusty one at a garage sale this weekend for 15 bucks. Had to put all exposed metal on the wire brush machine, but all the exposed rash came off and i flat blacked it. The stock is great and it had one of those engraved squirrels in the rear portion of the stock. the insides cleaned up perfectly and it feeds and ejects live rounds great. Havent fired it yet but its sure a cute little thing. The wood is beautiful. Just put furniture oil on it and it looks new. JAMESJEFF44

7:23 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

Anony, you can try Gun Parts
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
or Dick Williams
http://dickwilliamsgunshop.com/Marlin.html

GP has whether it's in stock on the site, Williams you'll have to e-mail or call to find out.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased mine in the early to mid-70's and I am still hunting squirrels today. This is really a fun .22 to shot. Like eveyone else mine does jam and mis-feed occasionally. After a good cleaning it runs great until dirty. Lately I have been experiencing ejection problems. When I fire a round it does not eject the fired round. When ejecting it gets stuck about half way through the ejection cycle with the next round stuck under the fired round. I am ordering all new springs hoping to take care of my problem.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one that needs a new firing pin. ive been looking around and cant find anyone selling the old style pin. will the new style work without any problems?

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Jim said...

Hi, I have one again. I had one when I was a kid, and got the tube model this time. I replaced the springs and buffer, and it shoots like a champ. I fould a SKS web sling and makes it look more original. Good site for this model. Cheers, Jim

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New to this type of weapon but just picked up a very old one. I'm hoping it is the 59-60 one I guess...it says Mod99 only and no serial number. Has the auto-micro-grove barrel on it. It is 41in long instead of the 37.5 of the Mod60. It has a brass mag spring tube and an enclosed? circular front site. Seems to be walnut...does not lock to rear manually or with last round. Barrel is about 21" long and has E1 on barrel. Could anyone please tell me what I have? Tks Send comments to: gandl2123@comcast.net Tks

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home